Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Caged Animals!

 Yep, it is starting to feel like we are caged animals here! The boys are out of school again today. Don't get me wrong, I love them being here, but we can't go anywhere. It would be different if we could get out, but no, ice is everywhere. Yes, I know people up north think we are crazy, but you see there are quite a few of us here in the south, that drive like idiots. So, the illustrator and I tend to stay off the roads as long as there is ice everywhere. We have been watching people spinning their tires trying to get enough momentum to go up the hill by our house to get to the end of the subdivision. Not so much fun when your kids are out playing and you don't know if the person's car is going to run off the road! So we we have been like caged animals! The sun is shining today, so while it is still freezing, things are melting.

The illustrator and Max went on a walk yesterday and these are some shots he got along the way...




Perfect way to enjoy being caged...hot cocoa and cinnamon bread!
This one is with gluten...



and this one is gluten free...


The boys like them both equally. I made a loaf of each for Sunday night and this is the last of it yesterday. Baking is definitely on the agenda for today! Baking therapy is a must!


There has been a constant pot of hot cocoa on my stove for days now. Since there has been a constant flow of freezing kids in and out. This is one of the easiest things to make and you can make it however you like it! I called my mother-in-law to get her recipe and she told me that it wasn't a recipe, she just put the ingredients in the pot. So, with her guidance, I just threw things in the pot. 


Hot Cocoa
(makes 3 mugs)

3 cups almond milk or coconut milk (So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk is perfect for this)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar (depending on how sweet your milk is or how sweet you like your cocoa)

Mix everything together and warm it on medium heat on the stove.

Since Atlanta went a little crazy on the hoarding of foods on Friday due to the scare of inclement weather...let's talk about hoarding for a minute. I will confess to buying 16 super large organic fuji apples that were a ridiculously low price last Friday. I was probably the only freak at the store that day not buying milk or eggs. I now realize that I should have bought more dish washing detergent! I am very against hand washing due to childhood scars of washing way too many dishes. I praise and applaud my dishwasher every morning!


Now for the embarrassing part, I have eaten' all 16 as of yesterday. Yes, they were almost the size of my head! They were so good and what can I say...I was celebrating that they were still in season!


Spill it...do you hoard anything? Amy, I know you have a stockpile of Kashi in your pantry! When I could eat Go Lean Crunch...I did too!

I am sharing my gluten free version of my cinnamon bread on The Wednesday Carnival.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 8:49 AM  
31 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like