Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Cookie Dreams and Mind Reading...
Where is this week going? I feel like it's flying by. My kids have 5 1/2 weeks left of the school year and I am so ready for summer! Not that it really gives me a break, but it gives the kids a break and I remember how much I looked forward to it as a kid. Our lives just have such an ease to them during the summer. We are all pretty mentally drained right now too. The illustrator and I finished up our massive cleaning yesterday. That was 4 days of scrubbing EVERYTHING. That does not include the outside stuff other than mowing the grass, which he did that too. We just needed a good cleansing! It feels so good walking around this house now. The fact that we live and work in the house makes us more aware of things that need to be done and the fact that we see the messes/clutter all the time, well, it can get to you. So, the cleaning felt great...now I need to sleep for a week. Seriously, I work out regularly and I feel muscles that I didn't know I didn't work out that much or that even existed for that matter. Yoga was a huge help this morning, but I really feel like I need a massage...maybe I can convince someone here to help me out with that. Max has some great monkey fists.

Anyway, well baking hasn't happened much in a while, but I really needed to dirty up the kitchen...ya know, since it was so clean.


I've been thinking about making vanilla sandwich cookies for a week now. I get things in my head and then I just don't let them go. Anyway, so I'd been thinking about vanilla sandwich cookies with a marshmallow center. I haven't told anybody about them, but I was considering my recipes and how they would work in this recipe. Well, the other day, the illustrator started telling me about this dream he had (apparently he now dreams of food). I stopped him when he said he was dreaming about a cookie and then asked him..."was it a vanilla sandwich cookie with a marshmallow filling"? He freaked out, because it was. We have this weird thing where we think of stuff and the other one will say it...this happens all the time. It totally freaks us out, but I guess that's what happens when you've been together for almost 17 years and you spend 24/7 together. I guess that or you want to kill each other. I'm just glad it's the thought thing and not the killing thing. Anyway, so I had my first attempt at the "dream cookie" today. It did not turn out quite like I wanted, but no worries, what I made was more of a short cake!


Since I was playing with the recipe, I didn't know how much they would spread. Turns out, not at all. So I flattened the next round.


I went ahead and sandwiched them together, but really they would be better with some strawberries this summer...come on summer time!


I would keep them as scoops. They are moist and chewy on the inside, definitely very biscuit like. I love happy accidents! These were based off my pizzelle recipe with some added flour, xanthan gum and almond milk. I love this flavor combination. They aren't super sweet, so they pair nicely with seven minute icing...although what doesn't really? I added an extra 1/4 tsp cream of tarter to see if that made the icing firmer. I think it actually did. I have such a weakness for this stuff!

Gluten Free Shortcakes

1 egg
3 TBSP smart balance light
1/4 cup sugar
15 drops vanilla stevia
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup white rice flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk the egg through stevia together. Next add the almond milk and whisk until combined. In a separate bowl, mix the flours, baking powder and xanthan gum together. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients (use a spoon or rubber spatula - it's thick like a biscuit) and mix until well combined. Using a large cookie scoop, place dough on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes depending on how big you make them. Be careful not to over cook them. They will get slightly browned on the bottom.


I get a kick out of the faces the beaters make in the seven minute icing. I love the goofy eyes and big beard on this one. 

Do you have anyone you completely connect with even with thoughts? Most people don't get how the illustrator and I can spend so much time together. It just works for us. He's my best friend. 

Labels: , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 7:23 AM  
25 Comments:
  • At April 20, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    Yum! And, seriously, you have to stop teasing me with this frosting. I'm never going to lose these few lbs if I keep seeing this frosting - not sure how much longer I can hold out without making it!!!
    Have a great day, hon!

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 8:01 AM, Anonymous Lee said…

    You guys have ESP!

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Anonymous Heather (Where's the Beach) said…

    Girl, I am so impressed with that cleaning. We could certainly use that at my house too. And I can only imagine just how much more aware you are of that need when you work from home. I bet it feels so good!

    I love how connected you guys are. I think that's awesome. My sister and I do really odd things. We very often call the same parent within minutes of each other.

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Anonymous Madeline - Greens and Jeans said…

    My best friend Margaret and I are on the same frequency. I'll send her a "just thinking about you" email before I even know she's having a bad day. Or she will call right out of the blue when something big has happened to me. This is especially impressive because she lives in Argentina and there are miles and miles between us!

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Anonymous Estela @ Weekly Bite said…

    Oh My!! These look like heaven!

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    Maybe your stressed and that's adding to the back pain. I'm sorry you're so sore. The cookies should help you feel better. They look great!

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Blogger Tip Top Shape said…

    Mmm, that sounds delicious!! I can just imagine it with strawberries! Crazy delicious!

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Anonymous Holly @ The Runny Egg said…

    Those cookies look amazing!

    And yes, I remember when I was in school -- April and May took FOREVER. All I wanted was for summer break to start!

    I definitely have a connection with Jason -- it is kind of scary sometimes. But I am also that way with my 3 sisters -- I'm glad we are very close!

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Blogger Christina said…

    those look scrumptious. i love cooking right after i clean! makes sense right?

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Anonymous Amy B @ Second City Randomness said…

    Oh yes... sandwich cookies are the best. I've been contemplating homemade oreos for a while, but marshmallow filling sounds much more appealing!

    I've got a couple friends that I can finish sentences with. Not in that normal friend way, but as in we're talking about the most random/weird things and say the same exact thing, only to look up and see how weirded out the other person is... lol

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Anonymous Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table said…

    These remind me of those icing-filled cookies they sell at the Cookie Co. in the mall. But better. :)

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    Oh my, that looks beautiful...especially today when I'm watching snow fall. Seriously. I think I almost licked my computer screen. I'm making your Shrimp Corn Chowder Friday and I canNOT wait!

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Anonymous Christin@purplebirdblog said…

    I have next Saturday off from school as a segway into the first half of our internship, and super mega thorough cleaning is on the schedule!! We will be moving at the end of June, so I really need to get my butt in gear with cleaning, sorting, and starting packing... I can't afford (time-wise) to leave it all to the end like I usually do! :)

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Oh I totally understand. Great minds think alike, thats why you married Tony, right?
    Recipe success!

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Anonymous Pure2raw Twins said…

    Gluten Free Shortcakes look fantastic! Sorry we have been MIA lately we are now slowing getting caught up on all our blog friends!!!!
    And reading minds happens to us all the time ;) I guess it might be a twin thing haha

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Anonymous Kristen (swanky dietitian) said…

    These shortcakes look amazing!
    I love the idea of adding strawberries. Yum!

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Anonymous kate@ahealthypassion said…

    that cream looks so amazing and fluffy omgggg

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Anonymous Jess@HealthyExposures said…

    I want a big bowl of sweet strawberries and vanilla faux ice-cream with some of these shortbreads...now that sounds like a plan :P Come oooon, summer!!
    I adore the relationship you and the Illustrator have. My mom and I have creepy moments - but I expect that from a mother, I guess :P

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Those look great :)

    It's awesome you got so much done!

    I understand what you mean about the Illustrator. Joe and I are like that---we can spend days together talking nonstop and also being silent. When I'm with him it just feels like home...there's nothing like it!

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Blogger Kate Sheleg said…

    I'm on a cookie kick - inspired by those sweet Girl Scouts. Here are raw Samoas - so simple and tasty!

    http://bread-n-chocolate.blogspot.com/2011/04/girls-just-want-to-have-fun-and.html

     
  • At April 20, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Those are the cutest things EVER!!! :D LUV LUV LUVVVV!!! <3

     
  • At April 22, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Anonymous Gigi @ Gluten Free Gigi said…

    Hi! Just thought I'd let you know I was here looking over your lovely site! :) We're neighbors - saw you on R2E's page.

    xo,
    Gigi

     
  • At April 23, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Blogger gfe--gluten free easily said…

    Yummy cookies! I thought all couples who spend tons of time together, read each other's minds like that! While my hubby doesn't think of recipes, we do often think of wanting the same foods at the same time. ;-)

    Shirley

     
  • At April 26, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Blogger t said…

    Just bookmarked this to add to my to-bake list. Yum!

     
  • At April 30, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Blogger LizNoVeggieGirl said…

    Haha, that's how Suave Slav and I are - he says we're "astral mind twins" :D

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like