Thursday, February 3, 2011
Sweet Potatoes and Waffles
Today has definitely been a crazy day. I got up at 5:50am to get my workout in before the rush of the day started. Max had to be at school by 7:45am for chorus practice. Then the boys had half days at school (technically yesterday and today) for conferences, so that led to running from one school, then the other and then back to the first school. Loads of fun. Then I decided to be brave and take the boys with me to the grocery store...that's a quick way to spend way more money than you want to. Oh well, now we are done with the running around and hopefully we will have time for some relaxation tonight.

My stomach is definitely better today. Thank you all for saying such nice things. I have to say, this is the longest stomach bug I have had in a while. My insides are definitely sore, but I am not suffering like the past three days. I am thinking my Ginger Orange Sweet Potatoes had to do with that. In my mind they did anyway!


These had a slight sweetness from roasting the orange in with them, while the ginger and turmeric were definitely perfect spices to go with it. Not to mention ginger and turmeric are great for digestive issues. Tasty and good for your belly...I guess that is why I was craving them.

 

Ginger Orange Sweet Potatoes

2 to 2 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes (cut into wedeges)
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBSP coconut oil (or oil of your choice)
1 orange

Mix the sweet potatoes with the turmeric, ginger, salt and coconut oil in a 13x9 baking dish. Squeeze the orange juice over everything then rip the peel up and put it in the dish. Make sure everything is evenly coated and bake at 400 degrees for an hour or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through.

This morning featured the come back of the Boston Cream Pie Waffles! Jay has been asking for these nonstop since I originally made them. I don't know why I took so long. They are heaven.


They are the perfect mix of healthy meets indulgence and the perfect way to start a crazy day! Besides, all the food groups are covered here! I made the pudding last night covered it well and then stirred it well this morning so there were no lumps. He was one happy camper after that, but really who wouldn't be? SSSSHHH don't tell him, I am saving a stash for me tomorrow.


This post is dedicated to my poor waffle iron. This is the last waffle that came from him. As they said in The Big Chill..."he went out with a bang, not a whimper". Now worries though, while I will miss him, we have a back up, but it does not even compare. Now I want one of the ones that flip over. Maybe I can convince Max he wants one for his birthday.

What kitchen appliance can you not live without?

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 7:15 PM  
26 Comments:
  • At February 3, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Blogger Tip Top Shape said…

    Sorry to hear about your waffle iron!!! At least it's last meal looks DELICIOUS!!

     
  • At February 3, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Anonymous Estela @ Weekly Bite said…

    I hoe you feel better soon :)

     
  • At February 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Anonymous Heather (Where's the Beach) said…

    So glad you're feeling better. Those sweet potatoes sound fantastic. YUM love that flavor idea. I don't know that I could live without my food processor. I use that sucker all the time.

     
  • At February 3, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Blogger laura said…

    Glad you are feeling better. Stomach bugs are no fun. Those waffles look amazing!!! Adopt me!!! :)

     
  • At February 3, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Anonymous Amy B @ Second City Randomness said…

    Oh dear... you are a brave soul for taking people with you to the grocery store! I prefer to go it alone (sure, I live alone so that happens easily, but I rarely will even agree to go along with people or have them accompany me unless absolutely necessary). I enjoy being in "the zone" when going...

     
  • At February 3, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Anonymous Lauren @ Spiced Plate said…

    Oh, how I miss the waffle iron we had...it got "lost" in the 4 big moves we had last year...we're hoping it comes back one day.

    Ginger + sweet potatoes = love for your belly, in mulitiple ways. Glad you're feeling better!

    I can't live without my blender. How else would I keep my supply of hummus from running out? :)

     
  • At February 3, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Anonymous Christin@purplebirdblog said…

    Those waffles look INSANE. And those sweet potatoes sound fantastic! I couldn't live without my rice cooker or my mini food processor!! :)

     
  • At February 3, 2011 at 8:29 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    I'm so glad that you're feeling better, Sarena! Your potatoes and waffles would definitely make me feel better - yum!!

     
  • At February 3, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Anonymous Averie said…

    I love the Ginger Orange Sweet Potatoes! I do the SAME Thing with white potatoes for Scott. Just reposted my old recipe link the other day. Anything with ginger, and coconut oil, is fabulous. Add citrus, and you're there even more :)

    Glad to hear your tummy is on the mend but sounds like quite the time of it. Hang in there :)

     
  • At February 3, 2011 at 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love this idea!! Orange and ginger is an awesome combo, and I ended up loving the orange and black bean hummus I made when smothered on a sweet potato. So I can only imagine the orange with the sweet potato instead ;)
    RIP waffle iron :( It really did produce the most perfect waffles, didn't it?

     
  • At February 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    oh no poor waffle iron! It went out with a bang though. And Can i eat these together? I would so have sweet potato and waffles for dinner.
    ;)

     
  • At February 3, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Anonymous Ann Claire said…

    Those waffles look so yummy! I LOVE waffles. My waffle iron is certainly an appliance I love having. I guess if I had to I could live without it because I really don't use is that often, but when I do, I sure do love it!

     
  • At February 3, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Anonymous Pure2raw twins said…

    Glad you are feeling better! Love turmeric and ginger!

    Waffles look great!

    We could never go with out Vitamix, haha

     
  • At February 3, 2011 at 10:26 PM, Blogger LifeasKristina said…

    Those waffles don't look legal-wow!

     
  • At February 4, 2011 at 4:30 AM, Anonymous MelissaNibbles said…

    R.I.P waffle iron.

    Hope your belly is better soon!

     
  • At February 4, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg said…

    Awww, sorry your waffle iron bit the dust! He lived a good life! :-)

    Glad you're feeling better-- have a great weekend!

     
  • At February 4, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    I am SO making these waffles for my husband for his birthday - he LOVES boston creme donuts!
    I can't live without my kitchenaid mixer - though the Vitamix is now a close second.... :)
    Glad you're feeling better!

     
  • At February 4, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Anonymous Holly @ couchpotatoathlete said…

    Too bad about your waffle iron!

    My favorite kitchen appliance is my electrical skillet/panini maker -- I can do so many things with it - plus the pieces are dishwasher safe. Woohoo!

     
  • At February 4, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    I'm glad you are feeling better! You make me want to go out and buy a waffle iron...but I think my husband will leave me if I buy one more thing. Your boys (or your boys' teachers) are so lucky they are have conferences built into the day..we have to stay at night!

     
  • At February 4, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Anonymous Kate (What Kate is Cooking) said…

    Those waffles are seriously unreal! Must...make...immediately!

     
  • At February 5, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Anonymous Rach said…

    Sad day about the waffle iron! Those sweet potato fries look yum! Speaking of yum... I made your applesauce cake muffins and oh my gracious, they were SO good!

     
  • At February 5, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Beautiful food...as usual!
    I could not live without my vita-mix. I didn't understand why people said that...until I started using it for more than smoothies! Now, I'm not sure how to make anything without it....

     
  • At February 5, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Anonymous Heather said…

    I will definitely be trying those sweet potatoes! The flavor combo sounds incredible!

    I about died when I saw the waffle pic! Oh my word! *Drool*!!

    Glad to hear you are feeling better. Stomach bugs are no fun at all.

    I don't think I could live without my Magic Bullet! I use that little guy for everything!

     
  • At February 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Boston cream pie waffles? Yes please!!!!! This has inspired me to make breakfast for dinner in the near future!

     
  • At February 7, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Blogger Halley said…

    This is the best idea for waffles ever!!! I don't have an iron yet, been on a my christmas list for a few years though.. sorry to hear yours bit the dust!

     
  • At February 9, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Anonymous Kath (My Funny Little Life) said…

    Those sweet potatoes look wonderful! I definitely want to try this recipe!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like