Monday, February 7, 2011
Salmon Patties or Salmon Croquettes?
I feel like I have lost so much time! Yikes! Thankfully, I feel so much better now! Let's see, from last Thursday, my stomach bug got the best of me. I guess the "feeling better" part was the calm before the storm because by Saturday, I had to call in the big guns!


Just so you know, the illustrator actually thinks I am one of the most frustrating people when it comes to taking medication. I HATE it. I know there are times when you need to take it, but I don't like the way it  makes me feel and I have taken enough of it in my lifetime to last me a lifetime. He was nice enough to go to the store to get me some things to help the situation. Ultimately, I think I got a little too dehydrated. I took the full dosage of this baby for the entire day and it did not help until the next day. I was a zombie all day on Saturday. I literally laid on the couch all day while the boys played games and watched movies with me. The illustrator took care of me and worked the entire day...you know how I repaid him? I gave him a hard time about cooking dinner for me. Yeah, the man wanted to cook for me and I snapped at him. Yes, I did apologize. I swear it was the stomach bug and not me. I wanted real food so badly, but I could not eat it.


Anyway, since I was really not the cook around here this weekend, I thought I would share with you a family favorite of the illustrator's. He prepared this one and the kids loved it. Growing up, they called them Salmon Patties, but to make it seem more interesting to the kids, we called them Salmon Croquettes. The illustrator asked me if I had his mom's recipe. I told him no, but that if he called her she will tell him that she goes by looks on it. She also uses saltines (I think or buttery crackers) which we can't use. So, he made bread crumbs from the gluten free bread I baked him earlier this week and they came out perfectly. I was so happy for him since he loves sharing his old favorites with the boys and he loves being able to get in the kitchen (another reason why I felt rotten snapping at him on Saturday...I want a do over for that day). Anyway, this recipe is super simple and according to the kids it's "a keeper". When you read this, the measurements on the seasonings are per the illustrator. He used the shaker stuff.


Salmon Patties or Croquettes
(makes 16)

2 cups bread crumbs (we used gluten free)
4 eggs
salt
pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
2 14.75oz cans canned salmon (check for bones, Trader Joe's has bones in it, great product though)

Mix everything together well and then form into 1/4 cup patties (make sure you press them together well). Cook in a nonstick skillet for 4-5 minutes on both sides (or oil a skillet). Keep cooked patties in a 200 degree oven while the others cook.

The illustrator served these with mashed potatoes (have I mentioned the his recent obsession with all things mashed potatoes?), but they make great sandwiches too!

In the interest of sharing, I had an egg white omelet with boiled potatoes. Yep, we are talking major party food here for me this weekend!


Just before I totally crashed on Friday, I did make some gluten free banana bread. I will share that one tomorrow...


What do ya think? Patties or Croquettes?

Labels: , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 1:54 PM  
23 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like