Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Well, sadly, my belly is not better yet today, but I am hoping for a better day tomorrow. I have been doing tons of therapy on it though. Let's hope that ginger, turmeric, chamomile, rice and sweet potatoes help. I don't know that sweet potatoes are on the list of belly soothers, but I am craving them, so I will take that as a sign from the sweet potato gods that I need them.


I told you last night that I would share my method for the chicken pot pie I made since it was so easy. I used leftovers and some frozen veggies added in for healthy filler so it really did come together in no time at all. You can really use what ever you have on hand. Next time, I am making a veggie version of this. The fresh rosemary really did make this smell so incredible as it baked.


Chicken Pot Pie
(makes enough for 6 light meals or 5 heavier meals)

2 cups chopped chicken
6 small red potatoes cut into quarters
1 cup cooked green beans
1 cup cooked corn
1 cup peas and carrots (these were frozen, so defrost them)
3 cups not chick'n broth (1 1/2 cubes mixed with 3 cups water)
5 TBSP Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour (or white wheat)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh rosemary
1 pie crust (I used a home made gluten free)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium pot, heat up the broth. In a small bowl, mix together the flour and enough water to make a slurry (runny enough to pour and not make dumplings when it hits the hot broth). Next whisk the slurry mixture into the hot broth and continue whisking until the mixture thickens and just comes to a boil. In a baking dish (the size depends on how much filling you have), put the chopped chicken through the carrots in and then pour the gravy over the top of everything. Next add the rosemary and salt. Stir everything together until it is evenly mixed. Place your prepared crust over the top of the mixture. Cut vents in it or cover it without quite touching the sides (for steam to escape). Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the crust is browned. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.


Now, I am going to eat some sweet potatoes and watch a movie (also known as fall asleep, but don't tell Tony). 

Have a great night!

Labels: , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 6:48 PM  
13 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like