Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Cheesy Rolls!
I keep forgetting to mention this, but I added an email subscription to the site. I had a few people ask for it, so I added it for you. I am trying to figure out an easy way to respond to people when they have questions, but my template is custom (my husband did it) and it's through blogger, so I can't add any other commenting services that I know of at this time. So, I am trying to respond to people personally. 

Ok, so Max had picture day yesterday. I am one of those parents that really HATES posed pictures. I love snap shots so much more...they are just more real and natural. Don't worry, I buy the obligatory pictures for him to have later on. So, spring picture day was yesterday. Max's hair is out of control, but he is doing the whole...being himself thing right now and I am letting him do it for...it's only hair. He left for school in his red flannel shirt (he calls it his lumber jack shirt and I am a 90's girl...I love a man in flannel) anyway, when I picked him up he was wearing a metal spiked bracellet (it's a keep sake, it was his father's)...


and his shirt was opened up to an under armor t-shirt. The photographer had the kids in a laying pose with there heads resting on their hands...this is going to be an interesting picture for me to remember him at this age. I wish I had his courage to be my own person at that age. I was too busy trying to be perfect to really be me. I actually enjoy watching my kids be different. Oddly, I see a little bit of me in both of them...they are just allowed to be themselves.


Anyway, you all crack me up. So you want cheesy rolls. Well, I have to say, the illustrator and the boys ate the entire batch in one night. They are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Like I said before, I did not try them dairy free, but I plan to very soon. I saw yesterday that Whole Foods is having a sale on Daiya so I have to get there to get some.


If anyone tries them with a cheese alternative, please let me know how they turn out.

Cheesy Tapioca Rolls
(makes 19 small rolls)

1/4 cup EarthBalance
1/4 cup dairy free milk (I used almond)
1/4 cup water
1 cup tapioca flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup dairy free mozzarella cheese
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Like a baking sheet with parchment paper

Melt the earth balance in the water and milk until it just starts to simmer. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and garlic powder. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. This is extremely thick. I did it by hand, but I suggest a heavy duty mixer if you have it. Add the cheese to the dough and mix well to cool. Next add the egg and mix until well combined. Scoop out about 2 TBSP for each roll and bake for 20-25 minutes or until slightly browned.

The illustrator thinks these would be great for hamburger buns if they were a little bigger. You could use two of them instead of cutting them in half. I think he is on to something.


Max had the last two from the last batch I made in an omelette this morning! Who needs toast when you can have bread in your eggs?

So, my sister-in-law says I have a streak of freak in me. If I had to describe myself, I would definitely say I am more like Juno (minus the high school pregnancy, but definitely with the snarky attitude - yes, at my age, I still love my Chuck Taylors) If you had to describe yourself, what movie character would you be most like?

I am sharing the rolls on The Gluten Free Homemaker's Wednesday Carnival.

Labels: ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 9:29 AM  
33 Comments:
  • At February 23, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Anonymous Heather (Where's the Beach) said…

    LOL on his picture. Man I hate looking back at those. I totally agree with you though on wishing I had been more "me" and not trying to fit in and be perfect. So good for him! Those rolls....heaven. Do you think a flax egg would work?

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg said…

    Ha, yes-- my school pictures are SO awkward from about age 4, all the way through high school. Grooooan!

    Cheesy rolls!!!! Yay!

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Anonymous Holly @ couchpotatoathlete said…

    Those cheesy rolls look so good!

    I wish I had Max's confidence as well -- I was so worried that I would be different, or nerdy, so I tried my hardest to fit in -- problem was, I had no idea who I was!

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Blogger Christina said…

    PLEASE post his school pictures when you get them!

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Anonymous MelissaNibbles said…

    I want that bracelet thing!

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Anonymous Amy B @ Second City Randomness said…

    Spring pictures were definitely the worst! The way you get about 10 seconds to get in the most awkward pose ever and try to crack a smile before they're "shoo-ing" you off for the next person to do the same. Mine never turned out. And I think things like that were what made me more of a snapshot girl...

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Cheesy rolls! Yum!

    I love that you let your son be himself...even when the pics will not be what you would have dressed him in.
    My third grade pics are terrible because I insisted on wearing big pink and white plastic bead necklaces. I once asked my mom why she let me do that---she said, "You thought you looked beautiful, I wasn't going to stop that!"

    My nephew is 7 and he already talks about how kids picked on his boots in school---boots he loves so much, but now he doesn't want to wear them. *sigh*

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Anonymous Kristina @ spabettie said…

    oh YUM these rolls look great... we are all home with a snow day today so I may have to make these with some tomato soup for lunch...

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Anonymous Rach said…

    So you can use almond milk instead of regular milk in baking?? I'm making scones later this week and I was thinking about substituting in almond milk. Have you tried this before?

    And once again, those cheese rolls just look amazing!

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    I love that Max is his own person. The pictures sound like they will be great! :)

    Thanks for the roll recipe - my mouth is watering!

    I'm not sure who I'd be if I were a movie character. I know my brother thinks I'm part Elle Woods from Legally Blond. I hope that's just a brother-thing to say, ha.

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    Wow, that is a hard question! I'm not sure I can answer it!
    But I do know that I wish my 9 yr old was as confident as Max. He's more of a follower......which is hard to see sometimes.

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Blogger Liz Dean said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Blogger Liz Dean said…

    CHEESY ROLLS!!!! :-D

    for movies...I don't know...but for tv?? I am totally Lorelai Gilmore. Without a doubt. ;)

    I have really tried to do the same with my daughter as you have witht he boys...so yeah, we have some pretty interesting pics...but it has been totally worth it. Especially when, at 13, she announced what a cool relationship we have...and how I'm not like any other mother she knows. :)

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Anonymous kickpleat said…

    These rolls look so good! They sound like these gluten free Brazilian cheese rolls that I can never remember the name of! Yum.

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Anonymous Madeline - Greens and Jeans said…

    Oh my gosh, PLEASE share those pictures when you get them! And I definitely laughed out loud when you mentioned Juno because I get that comparison a lot!

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Blogger HEAB said…

    Rolls look delicious. I've never cooked with tapioca flour, but I'm thinking I need to try it. My "Sarena" list of recipes to make is getting way too long! :)

    In regards to your blog, I have a request. Anyway you could add a "search" bar. Usually I can find the recipe I'm looking for by just googling it along with the name of your site, but a search bar would be great. No pressure and totally not necessary - the selfish/lazy person in me just wants easy access to your brilliance. ;)

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Anonymous Jess@HealthyExposures said…

    I just bought tapioca flour!! I didn't know it could be used in large quantities in a recipe - I thought it was more for thickening. Now I know and can't wait to play with it more. Do you use it a lot? I'll have to do some research :)
    aha - school pictures...I'm with you. Candids are so much better...but I love that Max isn't afraid to be himself. Like you - when I was young, I was just too worried about being well behaved and was SHY as could be. I still am on the quiet side (believe it or not!) but not so concerned about how others perceive me, at least :)
    (p.s. oats will soak tonight for cinn-raisin bread take 2 tomorrow!)

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 8:02 PM, Anonymous lee said…

    I like the term streak of freak. Lol.

    I think I wore chuck taylors from about 3rd grade to 8th grade. I should get another pair. I still like them.

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Anonymous Christin@purplebirdblog said…

    I did a post of all my school pictures a while back... it's fun to see the awkwardness unfold! I love that you let your kiddo do his own thing for the picture :)

    And I super love streak of freak! One my mantras is "let your freak flag fly high!" :)

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    oh chuck taylors, those are awesome! I wish I still had mine.

    Love the cheesy (non dairy) rolls. They would be perfect with my GF spaghetti

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Anonymous Averie said…

    the rolls look awesome!

    please post your h.s. pics!!!

    movie character...gosh, i dont even know!

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Anonymous Alisa Fleming said…

    Oh man, I hope you share that picture! It sounds like it will be too much fun and too cute.

    Darn, I passed up buying the Daiya that was on sale. I still haven't bought it, just tried it the once. These probably taste so nice and light with the tapioca base!

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 11:34 PM, Anonymous Heather @ kissmybroccoli said…

    Yay! I'm so glad you posted this recipe! The look so buttery and delicious! I COULD make them right away with some Daiya if I hadn't gone on a cheezed cooking craze this week! I love that stuff!

     
  • At February 23, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Anonymous Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table said…

    I'm pretty sure the outfit Max came home in was what I wore most of my Freshman year in High School. With Doc Martens. God, I was so awkward... :)

     
  • At February 24, 2011 at 1:35 AM, Anonymous Kate (What Kate is Cooking) said…

    I have been told I am like Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off... is that weird? Haha!

     
  • At February 24, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Blogger GF Gidget said…

    It's Brazilian Cheese bread!!!! I love that stuff! Thank goodness for Daiya!

     
  • At February 24, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Anonymous Pure2raw twins said…

    oh yes we have had tapioca cheese rolls before, some one once made them for us, so good! Love your recipe!!!!

     
  • At February 24, 2011 at 8:01 AM, Blogger Nicole said…

    I'm so not creative in questions like that - so I'll just say I also wish I had the courage to be my own person at Max's age. I hope you share the pics w us :) love the cheesy rolls!

     
  • At February 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Blogger MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said…

    Ooo tapioca in cheesy rolls, that has to be great! I remember being myself when I was in Junior High...I look back at those pictures now and they just make me laugh!

     
  • At February 24, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Blogger Linda said…

    Sarena, you actually linked to my post rather than this one in the carnival, but I changed it for you. :) My family loves these cheesy rolls, but I haven't made them since going dairy free. I'm glad to know it works!

     
  • At February 24, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Blogger laxsupermom said…

    I agree - snapshots over posed pics any day of the week. My mother keeps asking me for one of those posed shots of our family where everyone dresses the same. Ick. I sent her one of the 4 of us hiking on a trail that rims a lake by us. Those rolls look fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

     
  • At February 26, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Blogger gfe--gluten free easily said…

    Thanks for adding the email subscription! :-) Love cheesy tapioca rolls! I'm too tired to think to answer your question, but it's a good one. ;-)

    Shirley

     
  • At March 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your cheesy tapioca rolls look so tasty & apart!! There is real flavour in here!

    MMMMMM,...Lovely to enjoy in good company & with a hot soup or stew!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like