Monday, November 22, 2010
Gluten Free Snickerdoodle Dough Balls
I decided to be productive this weekend regardless of anything else that happened. The illustrator worked, so I worked too.  I had to bake though! I got some laundry done, did some work for the illustrator and baked!

(Gluten Free Cinnamon Bun Bread...recipe tomorrow!)

I did not go to the Foodbuzz Festival, but I saw Caitlin link to The Chic Life's version of cookie dough balls that apparently wowed everyone there. Who doesn't love a dough ball? So, I thought I would give them a try. I, of course, had to change them. They had to be gluten free and well, I did not have chocolate chips, so I made Gluten Free Snickerdoodle Dough Balls.


I made these at 6pm, so the sun was down. The pictures are not great due to no light. Um well, by 8pm they were all gone! I thought I would get better shots in the morning, but for obvious reasons, that will not happen.


Since I have no frame of reference for what these are like, I will tell you that the version I made tastes like little doughnuts. Soft and doughy on the inside!


I normally try to keep things really simple when it comes to writing recipes, but I am working on mixing my own flour bases so this one is quite the mix. If you have a good mix of all purpose gluten free flours, by all means use it if it is easier for you. 

Gluten Free Snickerdoodle Dough Balls
(adapted from The Chic Life)
(makes about 24)

1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup chickpea flour
3 TBSP arrowroot powder
1 TBSP flax meal
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
9 TBSP raw sugar
1 flax egg (1 TBSP flax meal mixed with 3 TBSP hot water) or 1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla

1/4 cup sugar in the raw
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp fresh grated nutmeg

In a mixing bowl, combine the Earth Balance and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour through xanthan gum and set aside. Next add the flax egg and vanilla to the sugar mixture until combined. Now add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until combined. Scoop the mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet with a small cookie scoop (about a tablespoon and a half). Roll the balls so they are tall (not flat). In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Now roll the balls in the sugar mixture and place on the pan and freeze for 20 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-14 minutes or until they are slightly browned on the bottom. Remove from pan and cool.

Labels: ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 6:00 AM  
25 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like