Monday, October 25, 2010
Pumpkin Rice Pudding
It is Monday and after all the activity from the past week and the weekend, we are all starting here a little on the tired side. We were supposed to go to a pumpkin carving/birthday party yesterday, but our friend that was throwing the party ended up calling a canceling due to her not feeling well. Poor thing is having problems with her digestive tract and I can completely relate to how debilitating that is. We were bringing a dessert to the festivities and since it was already in the oven when she called, we took one for the team and went ahead and ate it.


The process started with the roasting of the cinderella pumpkin we got from the pumpkin patch last weekend. From the information I have read, this is an heirloom pumpkin that is perfect for pies. I also read that we have genetically changed the look of pumpkins over the years to make them prettier.  I thought this was pretty funny since I think the heirloom fruits and veggies are really so much prettier with all the different colors and shapes. I am bummed I only bought one, but I definitely saved the seeds to grow my own next year.


 When we cut this open, it had a sweet smell to it more like a melon and as it was roasting you could smell a hint of honey.


I roasted the pumpkin at 375 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours. It was pretty large, so it took a little time, but it was totally worth it. The puree was velvety, smooth and a lot juicier than other pumpkins I have roasted. It made 13 cups all for $4. I would say that is a deal! I froze 9 cups out of this for pies in a few weeks...I can't wait!


Now to the extra good stuff!  We decided to make pumpkin rice pudding to take to the get together.


We were going to brulee it when we got there, so we had a mix of brown sugar and regular sugar mixed together. When I do this next time though, I will do turbinado or raw sugar. I just think it will work better and not get too brown. The dark brown sugar started to burn at little. Not the bad kind of burn though, the good burn...if that makes sense. I just want it to be prettier when it burns.


This smelled so good and is all the flavors I love in fall!


 Pumpkin Rice Pudding


6 cups cooked rice
2 cups pumpkin puree
3 cups dairy free milk (I used Almond Milk)
3 eggs beaten or 13/4 cup egg substitute (or egg whites)
1/2 cup granulated sugar or pure cane sugar
3/4 cup raisins (ground in the food processor to form a paste)
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup turbinado or raw sugar

Combine all ingredients through the nutmeg in a large casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. When done sprinkle the top with the remaining sugar and either torch or place in the broiler to brown.

***I would add 1/4 cup almond milk if using canned pumpkin***


The burned sugar on top got all melty in the pudding and gosh, this made my day!

Labels: , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 4:52 PM  
29 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like