Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Buckwheat Peanut Crepes!
I hope everyone had a few minutes to enjoy the Labor Day weekend. The illustrator worked, so we stuck around home. We enjoyed a beautiful walk with the boys to the park on Sunday and realized that fall is definitely coming! You can actually breathe outside! Come on fall...we are ready! Before our gorgeous walk we enjoyed these treats and pretended we were here...


I won't tell you how long ago this picture was taken. I will tell you I went straight there in my mind when I decided to make crepes though. Oh how I love Paris. Long story short, the illustrator competed in (and won) a web design competition in (2006 - I just told you how long ago this was and realized it has been way too long) with a couple of friends. The first round was in Chattanooga, TN and the next round was in Limoges, France. So, we took a few days to see Paris while we were that close. Oh my, I fell in love and I count the days till we meet again! 

Meanwhile, back in the states...


Ever since I got this peanut flour at Trader Joe's, I have been using it in everything. I don't know if it is safe for me to have it in the house!


Nothing in this thing, but peanuts! Seriously, 16 grams of protein in 1/4 cup...you can't beat that!


Also, low calorie and low fat. I had to stop eating it so I could make things with it! 


I actually made muffins first, but the crepes won me over! Don't get me wrong, the muffins are incredible, but these were an experience!


I used to make crepes when I was in high school. We had a crepe pan back then, but I don't have one now. This is one like the pan I used to have. Luckily, it is really not required to make crepes at all. These literally came together in about 10 minutes start to finish. The batter is really easy and the crepes cook in a couple minutes each.


These figs...oh my, there really are no words. So, the first time I had fresh figs was at the farmers market last year. I liked them, but at the farmers market...I was eyeing the tomatoes. I enjoyed the one fig and went the tomato guy. The farmers market is all about tomatoes for me. This year, Max had an interest in the figs. He asked me what they taste like and asked if I would buy some for him to try. Heck yeah. I mean seriously, how could you not buy them at that point. Well, he was not a huge fan of the texture and I can totally understand that. So, I decided to warm them up just a little and drizzle the tiniest bit of honey over them. It was a moment for me. Max on the other hand, he went for this one...


Warm cinnamon apples with a peanut butter glaze. Jessica, I am looking at you...this is coming your way!


You see, this is where the peanut flour is going to be a problem. I have been making peanut butter sauce and peanut butter fudge bites (more on that later) with this stuff like crazy. Good thing I have some self control...I hope.

The thing I like most about these crepes is that they aren't only for sweets. I did not add any sweetener to them so I could use them for savory too. I need to get a bigger skillet now because these are amazing wraps...and gluten free! Now the illustrator can have "normal" tasting wraps since he is not a fan of the brown rice tortillas (I know, what is wrong with him...since when is chewy not good?) The peanut flour is nice with the buckwheat because it cuts the bitterness of the buckwheat. These are definitely going to be in a regular rotation for me!

Buckwheat Peanut Crepes
(makes 8 small)

1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup peanut flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup So Delicious Original Coconut Milk (or dairy free milk of your choice) **
1/4 cup egg white (or 2 egg whites)

Combine the dry ingredients and then add the wet to mix thoroughly. Heat a nonstick skillet to medium high. Spray with no stick when the skillet is hot. Pour enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook until the crepe begins to pull away from the side of the pan and flip. Cook until done (30 seconds to 1 minute). Continue until batter is gone. Enjoy with your favorite toppings or fillings!

**You can add 2 more TBSP of the milk if the batter is too thick. You want it to be thinner than pancake batter, but not too thin.

Peanut Sauce

1/4 cup peanut flour
honey
water or So Delicious Coconut Milk (or dairy free milk of your choice)

You can make this as thick or thin as you like. Add a little of the honey and liquid at a time to get to the consistency you want. 

Have you ever been on a trip and then now, when you eat something, it reminds you of that place? We never went any where other than the beach or Disney when I was a kid, so I don't really have food memories other than my grandmothers' cooking. France however...oh the memories!

Labels: , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 7:43 AM  
28 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like