Wednesday, August 18, 2010
My Inner Hippie...

I am getting in touch with my inner hippie lately or at least that is what everybody I know thinks when I mention hemp seeds or protein. The seeds are incredible on a salad! This one completely hit the spot with homemade garlicky hummus, home grown mung bean sprouts, romaine lettuce (sadly, not home grown) and Spicy Falafel Chips!


They give a great texture and nutty flavor to my roasted veggies.


They also give a great nutritional boost to anything you put them on.  The flavor is a lot like sunflower seeds to me, so the flavor was very complementary to the banana bread pancakes. I am now putting them in and on everything!


I don't typically do the protein powder thing. I just haven't really gone down that road yet, but after trying some vanilla hemp protein from Trader Joe's not too long ago, I thought I would give the Nutiva Hemp Protein a try. This one is very different. Not sweet at all. VERY earthy! What? I like earthy!


I am impressed with the nutritional breakdown on this, so I figured I would play around with it. I don't do smoothies either. I am not big on drinking my calories and it always leaves me missing something without being able to chew on my food. After making a fudge topping for my overnight oats with the vanilla powder, I got an idea to try this one in a little chocolate treat.


Anyone who knows me, knows I am not a huge fan of chocolate. However, I have really fallen in love with these little chocolate bites. They are not super sweet, but they are rich and have the texture of fudge!   I also like getting a good dose of amino acids, protein, vitamins and fiber in my treats! The antioxidants in these little treats is pretty impressive too thanks to all the cocoa extract! Hello healthy immune system!



Hemp Chocolate Fudge Bites

1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup Nutiva Hemp Protein Powder
3 TBSP Nutiva Hemp Seeds
7 TBSP water
80 drops NuNaturals Cocoa Bean Extract

Stir everything together until combined. Then scoop it into individual bites and refrigerate.

I do splurge on sugar and junk occasionally, but I do like being able to have sneaky treats. You know things that look bad for you, but are really so good for you (and tasty too)!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 6:18 PM  
22 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like