Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Cauliflower Chickpea Salad
This morning started out so much better! Not to mention there was actually a cool breeze out for our morning walk. Could fall really be right around the corner? I hope so!  I need me some sweaters and everything pumpkin!


So, last night was bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich night. Um, no, not for me, but for the boys. When I mentioned that I actually had what it took to make these and then asked if they were interested, the response was, "well, yeah, you said bacon". I am not really sure that they heard anything other than bacon. This was the illustrator's sandwich on Nature's Own Gluten Free Bread. Please, if you live in Atlanta, go buy this bread. We want them to continue making it and they are only selling it here for now.  


Anyway, I was not having this so I started to look at what we have in the fridge. Turns out I had steamed cauliflower and chickpeas just hanging out. I really wanted some sort of sandwich (and yes, I could eat the gluten free bread, but it is expensive, so I made a savory waffle).  I know that people have used cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes, so I thought maybe it would make a good binder for a chickpea salad. Just so you know...I HATE mayo. It disgusts me...the smell, the texture, the flavor...yuck. On the other hand, I am a true mustard LOVER! I just high fived all you mustard lovers out there!


So, this crazy little concoction turned out perfect for a chickpea salad on my waffle toast with fresh tomato and lettuce. The illustrator tasted it and said it reminded him of a mustard based potato salad (I wanted a second opinion). I thought the same thing, only this was not as heavy and it is loaded with vegetables and beans (for protein). I was kind of surprised that something I just through together from random stuff in the fridge turned out so well. I would actually make this again.

Cauliflower Chickpea Salad
 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
1 cup steamed cauliflower
1 tsp mustard
celery salt
onion powder
cracked black pepper

Blend in a food processor, but keep it chunky.

Do ever shock yourself in the kitchen when you throw random things together? Do you then actually buy the stuff to make this creation again.

Also, do you ever ask someone to try something so you know if it is good or not? Tony looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him to taste something I totally made for myself. 

Labels: , , , , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 8:02 PM  
22 Comments:
  • At August 24, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg said…

    That salad looks so good!!! Like a cross between mashed potatoes and potato salad!

     
  • At August 24, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Blogger laura said…

    Sometimes I use foods just as a conduit for my mustard love. I can never have too much mustard! I have a bunch of cauliflower in the house from our CSA I need to use - this looks perfect! Thanks for a great idea!

    P.S. I'm with you on the pumpkin and the sweaters. My favorite parts of fall! :)

     
  • At August 24, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Anonymous homecookedem said…

    I'm soooooo ready for fall!! Can't wait to wear fall clothes and eat lots of pumpkin and squash!! :)

    We finally found that bread at our kroger and even better we have tons of coupons from using our kroger plus card for it!! Andrew loves it and thinks it's way better than any other GF bread. This cauliflower chickpea salad looks awesome!! :)

     
  • At August 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    We did sandwich night a couple nights ago (followed by sandwich lunch). Love the sandwich!! Especially with good crusty grilled bread. And I found Daiya...everybody else in the house kept telling me to shut up already about how great it was to have something gooey on my sandwich. Yummy! I have to try your cauliflower salad...looks great!

     
  • At August 24, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Anonymous Amy B @ Second City Randomness said…

    Wow, I want to know how you ever even thought to come up with that! And here I thought I was getting creative with salad dressing... lol.

    I'm glad today started off a little better for ya!

     
  • At August 24, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Anonymous Heather (Where's the Beach) said…

    Hey sweet lady - so glad your day started off better. We're finally getting a cool down here too. Love the idea of the chickpeas with cauliflower. Yum. Hope you're having a great evening!

     
  • At August 24, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Anonymous Pure2Raw Twins said…

    YUMM, salad looks delicious! Thanks for all your sweet words and comments on our blog! It means so much to us :) THANKS!! HUGS

     
  • At August 24, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Blogger Christina said…

    yum! i'd never think to do cauliflower + chickpea and i really love both! i can't wait for pumpkin!!

     
  • At August 25, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Anonymous Madeline - Greens and Jeans said…

    Oh that salad looks and sounds awesome! And I just so happen to have both on hand...

     
  • At August 25, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Anonymous Jessica (Healthy Exposures) said…

    haha, I saw that picture and was like..."isn't that bacon?" trickin' me with the hub's meal, you!
    you know what's weird? i haven't had cauliflower in...ages. I don't think it's that I dislike it, either. I just...I don't know why. Maybe I should try it again soon?
    And I completely agree with you on the mayo-vs-mustard thing. Ew, mayo creeps me out so much. the worst part is the noise it makes when you take a glob. my mom has it on her sandwiches so i'm subject to seeing/hearing/smelling it if we're ever making lunch together! haha

     
  • At August 25, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Blogger Nicole said…

    I love that little concoction. I'm not as excited for sweaters, but I'm excited for pumpkin. Maybe if I do some back to school shopping I'll be excited!

     
  • At August 25, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Anonymous Tina said…

    I'm way more a mustard lover! I used to hate mayo too...then along came M and my pregnancy with her. I still don't add it myself but won't die if it's on something I order out. I used to gag at the thought of mayo being included.

    The cauliflower and chickpeas look fabulous together. So thick and creamy.

     
  • At August 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Blogger Kenzie @ A Healthy Purpose said…

    i love this! right up my ally. Chickpeas are on my weekly menu and every now and then I get a huge cauliflower craving.

    Fall is coming.. there's no doubt.

     
  • At August 25, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Anonymous Danielle (Runs on Green) said…

    *High five* for mustard-loving haha

    And I love your creativity! I agree that cauliflower is a lot more appealing than mayo.

    And I must say...I don't want fall to come!

     
  • At August 25, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yum! The only things I'm good at throwing together randomly are soups. All of the women in my family can do this for some reason. Maybe there's a soup gene.

     
  • At August 25, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Anonymous Holly @ couchpotatoathlete said…

    That salad looks really good -- even though I would have gladly had the BLTs :)

     
  • At August 25, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Anonymous Alisa said…

    Creative, I like it! Have you found a way to get the illustrator to eat his cauliflower? :)

     
  • At August 25, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Anonymous Jessica@tastyandtrim said…

    I love both cauliflower and chickpeas so that recipe is definitely a winner in my book! I have to give it a try :)

     
  • At August 25, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Anonymous Dr. Josh Axe said…

    I love this recipe. Top it off with some hummus, and I'm set.

     
  • At August 25, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Blogger Kelsey Ann said…

    i call them my "victims" when i get people to try something im not sure will be good or not lol.
    i just love when i randomly mix things and it turns out amazing or way better than i could have imagined! if only i wrote down the recipe, instead i forgets and try to duplicate it but it never comes out the same!!

     
  • At August 27, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Blogger stampylisa said…

    i too am a mayo hater/mustard lover. as soon as I finish some of my stash at home, I need to hunt down more of the Sprechers Root Beer Mustard that they sell by us in Menards (which is like Home Depot or Lowes and originated in WI) That bread looks good but my GF hubby can't have sesame or quinoa. boo! I was hoping to hunt it down when I'm back at my mom's in FL next month.

     
  • At August 28, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Blogger lynn @ the actors diet said…

    i am LEARNING to like mayo. i prefer the vegenaise kind, actually. this is such an inventive, interesting dish! will try it sometime.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like