Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Stir Fry Night!
Yikes, today is going to be HOT! We are about to head out for our walk and I am thinking about taking the kids to the water park for a few hours this morning. Hopefully everyone will follow the rules of proper swim wear today (ex. no white clothing and preferably lined) so my kids and I don't have to see strangers' naughty body parts!

But first...I have kind of been on a strange food kick around here, lately. I am craving things that are kind of odd combinations and looking for quick ways to make things without turning on the oven. I have also fallen way behind on posting food stuff. I just went through my photos and there are quite a few things that I need to share! Instead of starting with the older stuff, I will get to what we had last night.
Last night the boys wanted stir fry. I am always happy to do that since it is a great way to get some veggies in them. Jay was not as happy with the abundance of veggies and I cooked it a little longer in hopes that it would appeal to him more (or that he would not be able to identify them).  Um, no, he asked that I go back to peppers and onions next time. Fair enough, I take that as constructive criticism (or personal preference). At least he will eat that. He will even go for carrots and peas if they are small, so we will try that next time.  In his defense, I did put every vegetable in the house in this. Since I can't eat this due to the soy, I will trust the guys that the sauce was good. It is similar to mongolian beef, so it is a little on the sweet side. It smelled incredible!

Stir Fry Sauce
(good for 1 lb of meat and about 2 lbs of vegetables together)

1/2 cup low sodium gluten free soy sauce
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 large cloves of garlic minced
1/2 tsp dried ginger (or 1 tsp fresh grated)
Now, for what I had! I decided to do a little stir fry of cabbage, zucchini, onions, garlic and ginger.  I have discovered a love for savory waffles lately due to this creative individual. After the slider on an oatmeal flax waffle, my brain has been spinning with ideas! I had some roasted carrot hummus that I wanted to use in some way with it, so I mixed some of that in the batter. The first two were casualties. I thought I was going to have to throw this out the window (figuratively-you know I don't throw anything away). I scraped them off the waffle iron and decided maybe a little spray would help. I did this, closed it down and then the boys came over sniffing at the crumbled up waffles. I thought they would turn their noses up at them, but no...they devoured the broken up pieces! I am happy to say that the spray worked, so I got to enjoy these as I intended! I had them with my quickie stir fry and some extra roasted carrot hummus on the side. Loved the combination of this! The waffles crisped up nicely on the outside with a nice chewy soft inside!
Roasted Carrot Hummus Waffles
Makes 5 1/2 squares

1 cup quick oats
2 TBSP flax meal mixed with 6 TBSP hot water (allow to sit while you mix everything else)
1/2 cup roasted carrot hummus
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 tsp baking powder

Mix the oats through water and allow to sit for about 10 minutes.  Next add the baking powder and cook according to your waffle makers directions.

Any hummus would do here.  I just used what I had.  I love these!  The boys had them as the bread for their ham, egg and cheese sandwiches today!

Do you think outside the box with food and crave strange combinations? What have you tried lately and liked?

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 7:59 AM  
19 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like