Friday, July 16, 2010
Giant Caramel Cinnamon Roll and a happy mess!
Before we get to the good stuff...I would just like to say that my hamstrings are killing me this morning and yes, Heather, I blame you. I guess after reading about how Heather wanted to work on her hamstrings, I got it in my head that I needed to work on mine. Deadlifts get me every time! Well, let's just say that I am glad tomorrow is an off day for me!
I don't think I have mentioned it before, but we have been doing movie nights with the boys this summer. It is so strange when your kids change over from the 7:30 bedtime. Now we are all going to bed at the same time...which just so you know...11:00 is too late for me since I am the one that gets up early to workout. While they were all still in la la land this morning, they got the benefits of my early rising since they woke up to this. A giant caramel cinnamon roll!
Smothered in icing!
This was all sparked by gluten free cinnamon rolls that I got for the illustrator...
He told the boys that I could make them "way better" cinnamon rolls so the gluten free ones were his. I haven't tried making gluten free cinnamon rolls yet. That is definitely on my list though. So, I got to work on the gluten filled rolls. I didn't mind though, I like it when they ask me to make stuff because I get tired of trying to come up with things to make sometimes. It was getting late last night, so I took the easy road. I made my pizza dough cinnamon rolls. I still had some caramel sauce in the fridge too that I wanted to use for something. So, I had this crazy idea to fill the dough with that. Um, that was a mess! I know I could have just made sticky buns, but the boys wanted cinnamon rolls...there is a difference.
Although, in the end...not so much a mess! This is the bottom. These were soft, gooey and perfect for celebrating FRIDAY!
While I was rolling the dough up, all the caramel was moving out. So, I decided to roll the other side toward the caramel river that was overflowing. There was no way this was going to get cut into rolls! I ended up just making this giant caramel cinnamon roll. I put it together last night and placed it in the fridge overnight to proof. This morning, when I got up to work out, I put the roll in the cold oven and then turned it on to proof and bake. Thirty minutes later...a heavenly mess emerged from the oven!

I know everyone has a recipe for pizza dough, but this is my go to...

Quick Pizza Dough

1 1/2 cup white wheat flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp quick rise (instant yeast)
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBSP honey
1 TBSP oil or applesauce
1 cup warm water

Put flour through honey in your mixing bowl. Start mixing and add water slowly until the dough comes together.  Mix for 5 minutes.   

So, back to the movies...we have watched Alien, Predator, Finding Nemo, Lilo and Stitch, Ratatouille, Monsters Inc. and last night was Super Size Me. Ironically, that was the kids choice. Now, I don't agree with everything that is in that movie, but it was totally fascinating to watch the kids' reaction to the information. We don't eat out at fast food places often. However, there are occasions when that is the only option. We all know that Chick-fil-A was brought down from heaven. The part of that movie that gets me the most is when his body starts to crave it. I seriously believe that you can change your tastes. I think food is an addiction no matter what you eat. Ever since I started making hummus, you would think I was giving my family crack. After one batch is gone...they are jonesing for the next.

So...here are the questions..

1. What do you think of that movie? Agree or disagree?

2. I need some movie suggestions.  Things like Ferris Bueller, but not that one...I am out of ideas.  I don't think I can get them to watch Steel Magnolias, but it would be nice to watch a more of a chic flick than Alien!

Labels: , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 3:36 PM  
34 Comments:
  • At July 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Anonymous Evan Thomas said…

    I've never seen Super Size Me, but I think movie night is a great idea! I love it when me and my family watch movies, or Doctor who, spontaneously

     
  • At July 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Blogger Beth Morey said…

    I have to apologize because I just drooled all over your blog. Sorry. Want me to wipe that up? ;)

     
  • At July 16, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Anonymous Heather (Where's the Beach) said…

    Evil Laugh ;-) I plan on working my hammies on Sunday so I'll be in your boat come Monday morning. I don't know when I last had a cinnamon roll. I really want one right now though!!!

    I am not a big movie watcher, so I have no suggestions. Sorry. Hope you've had a good day (and stayed cool).

     
  • At July 16, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Blogger Ami "Mimi" Layton said…

    My favorite chick-flick is Sabrina, although I do prefer the modern one to the classic! Also - I'll take one of those giant rolls anytime!
    Other movies:
    Leon - it's got Natalie Portman so it's girly, but it's about a bad-a** hitman so the boys should like it.
    Casablanca - definitely a chick flick, but also historical.

     
  • At July 16, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Blogger Becca said…

    I really liked Super Size Me - did you see the extra at the end where he put the fries & hamburgers from McYuck's and from a regular restaurant (made with real food) in the jars to rot? Definitely gross. McYuck's fries DONT decompose!! "A large fry with a side of formaldehyde sauce, please." Drooling over your cinnamon rolls, and am going to make some tomorrow morning to celebrate Saturday!

    I suggest Catch Me if You Can, Spanglish, or Music & Lyrics for a fun Friday night fest. Or, if for a younger crowd, any of the Pixar movies are fun too.

     
  • At July 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Anonymous Amy B @ Second City Randomness said…

    Holy cow that's a major cinnamon roll. And I just got a serious craving for them... I'm making pancakes tomorrow for breakfast for the houseguests- maybe i'll do a spin on them and make cinnamon roll pancakes? hmmm...

    Have a good weekend, my dear!

     
  • At July 16, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Anonymous Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter said…

    Wow those look absolutely amazing! I would eat that entire thing in an instant.

     
  • At July 16, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Anonymous MelissaNibbles said…

    Whoa...those look amazing! I'm still considering going gluten free for my fibromyalgia. I'm glad those things will still be available to me.

    I thought Super-Size Me was a great movie. I suggest Teen Witch, Girls Just Want To Have Fun, and Teen Wolf. Boys like that stuff right? hahaha! No, seriously...Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy is a favorite of mine.

     
  • At July 16, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Movie Night is a great night with kids!! When I was a kid me and my parents use to always play board games and me and my dad always played mini-golf on the computer. I get so competitive in real or cyber mini-golf. hmmm about movies to see I'm not really sure...wish I could help! I just saw despicable me in theaters and it was cute. that cinnamon rolll is humungus! I should try making gluten-free ones for my non gluten free friend

    tanks for the good luck I am wondering why my video isnt posted in the contest gallery yet though =\ bc it ended at 9am today.... will be upsetting if they disqualified it for some reason lol!

     
  • At July 16, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg said…

    Oh my gosh, that cinnamon roll has me DROOLING. Yum.

    I really like Super Size Me-- I used to show it to my classes at the end of our semester.

    Little Miss Sunshine is always a favorite of mine. And The Princess Bride, although that might be too girly :-) Just tell them that it involved sword fights and torture machines!

     
  • At July 16, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Blogger Jolene - EverydayFoodie said…

    Funny, the hubby and I just watched "Super Size Me" last night (for probably the 4th time!). I love it, and I agree with the message in it. We actually haven't eaten McDonald's since that movie first came out! We do occasionally eat at other fast food restaurants though.

     
  • At July 16, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Blogger Alycia @ Fit n Fresh said…

    I'm literally going to have dreams about that cinnamon roll until I make one!! And I'm with Super Size Me too, a killer movie! (:

     
  • At July 16, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Anonymous Tina said…

    Wow! Those look great. Your family must had been very thankful for those.

    I despise when my hamstrings are sore. And they always get sore before everything else. I need to work on strengthening mine down the road as well. And oh - I complete agree you can change your tastes. It just takes time.

     
  • At July 16, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Anonymous Jessica (Healthy Exposures) said…

    I don't have arecipe for quick pizza dough :P Thanks for sharing yours! Funny - I was just thinking about making pizza/calzones driving home tonight :)
    And that cinnamon roll is gorgeous! Bet it tastes amazing, too :)

     
  • At July 16, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Blogger Ann Claire said…

    Oh goodness your cinnamon roll looks fantastic!!

     
  • At July 17, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Anonymous Danielle (Runs on Green) said…

    omgggg the caramel cinnamon roll looks perfect

    I love that you have a family movie night! I've seen parts of Super-size Me but I don't think I've watched the whole thing. It was pretty gross from what I remember. The worst was when they did the french fry experiment and the McDonalds fries never got moldy!

     
  • At July 17, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Anonymous Alisa said…

    Did I mention I'm doing this killer ab workout? :)

    That cinnamon roll looks aaaawwwwesommmme. Yum!

    We liked Supersize Me, but yeah, kind of a bit much. I didn't realize it until a while after we saw the movie, but I went to high school with his girlfriend/wife (the vegan). Small world.

     
  • At July 17, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Blogger Averie @ Averie Cooks said…

    never saw super size me, just hearing about it skeeves me, i cant watch stuff like that.

    ok why oh why cant i eat gluten...those rolls look fabulous and they remind me of my granny's from childhood. Such fond memories :)

     
  • At July 17, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Anonymous Monet said…

    I enjoyed Super Size Me, but it did go a bit overboard. I am so glad that I found your blog though! Growing up my sister couldn't eat dairy, and all of your recipes look so yummy!

     
  • At July 17, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Blogger Simply Life said…

    oh my gosh! that looks AMAZING!

     
  • At July 17, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for entering my giveaway. Unfortunately, you missed the deadline! I hope you keep reading. :)

     
  • At July 17, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Blogger Megan D said…

    I've decided I need to be at your house for breakfast all the time!! And I agree that hummus = crack.

     
  • At July 17, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Anonymous homecookedem said…

    Woooooooah! That caramel cinnamon roll looks amazing!! Oh how I wish it was here right now so I could gobble it all up!!

    We saw Super Size Me and I liked it. I don't eat much fast food, but chick-fil-a every now and then is a must. Waffle fries... uh oh... ;) Now I have a craving...

     
  • At July 17, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Blogger Kelsey Ann said…

    i can't even believe my eyes right now!!!! im embarassed to have even previously attempted cinnamon buns now that ive seen these!!! extra credit goes to how huge and fluffy they rose! these need to be on EVERYONE's bookmark list!!! <3

     
  • At July 17, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    awesome recipe! Ill have to try it!!

    Dana xo
    http://happinessiswithin.wordpress.com/

     
  • At July 17, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is the largest cinnamon roll I have seen, looks great!~

     
  • At July 17, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Blogger Stacey said…

    That is gooey deliciousness.

     
  • At July 17, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am seriously drooling over here! My brother and I used to go gaga for Mel Brooks movies when we were younger!

     
  • At July 18, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Blogger lynn said…

    i love watching movies from the 80's with kids. splash, e.t., space camp, goonies, karate kid, etc. are my faves.

     
  • At July 18, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Really, you are killing me with those rolls (or that roll)...looks sooooooo good. It has been way too long since I've had a cinnamon roll. I wanna make some vegan ones now...

    Oh, and yes I watched Super Size me in a nutrition class and was completely disgusted. I just could never forget the night he was stuffing his face in the car and threw up...um, yuck. I love Monsters inc though, such fun! Hmm, I am so tired but I am sure I can come up with some movie night suggestions soon!

     
  • At July 18, 2010 at 2:25 AM, Anonymous Sara @ Nourish and Flourish said…

    Oh my, your cinnamon roll looks amazing! Sometimes kitchen disasters turn into the biggest successes.:-)

    I watched Super Size Me when it came out and loved it! Food Inc. is another great one!

     
  • At July 18, 2010 at 3:34 AM, Blogger Lexi said…

    That giganto cinnamon roll looks delish!

    For movie night, I would recommend the following:

    Avatar
    Cars (I know it's Pixar, but it's SO cute)
    Mrs. Doubtfire
    Holes
    The Incredibles

     
  • At July 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Anonymous Camille said…

    Holy cow! That. Looks. Amazing.
    Super Size Me was the film that got me off fast food forever. I saw it in my 11th grade English class and I remember being disgusted and vowing never to eat fast food again. 5 years later and I haven't touched the stuff!

     
  • At July 19, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Anonymous Lori said…

    Um wow. I'm sorry that you're stressed but wowie with the amazing baked yummies! The cinnamon rolls look out of this world... healthy too? YUM!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like