Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Boston Cream Pie Waffles!
Here is the situation...I had egg yolks left over after making my gluten free angel food cake to take to a friends house on Sunday.  Between the cake and the 7 minute icing...I had quite a few egg yolks to deal with.  I don't throw food away.  It is a rule here.  I will suffer through it even if it is not great to not throw it away.  So, with egg yolks waiting for culinary greatness, I was off with my thoughts.  I started thinking about what I have been craving lately.  German chocolate cake with coconut icing (yes, please, but Jay won't touch it), ice cream (yeah, but I just did that), boston cream pie...we have a winner!
Well, a take on it anyway.  We took the boys to Krispy Kreme the other day.  We don't do it often, but sometimes, ya just gotta live a little.  Neither the illustrator nor I can eat there, but the boys love it and it is a treat for them.  My dad used to get us doughnuts on Saturdays and I still remember my favorite was the boston cream pie doughnut!  How could you not love a fluffy pillow of pastry filled with pastry cream and covered in chocolate?  Well, Jay got one and fell in love.  So, I decided to surprise him with a different take on his doughnut love.  You know I love making a healthier version of unhealthy foods!  So...let's get to work!
This mixture took me right back to culinary school!  I LOVED my pastry class and I remember to this day the first time I made a pastry cream. I am completely fascinated with the pale yellow color and the velvety texture the egg yolks and sugar become.
Here is the mixture about to heated to make the magical topping! Be careful when you temper the eggs and milk Do it slowly, otherwise, you will end up with sweet scrambled eggs.  Which Jay seems to like after discovering French toast is made with eggs, but that is not what I would looking for here.
Creamy, smooth and sweet with a hint of vanilla!
I used the waffles from the other day (thanks Jessica!), topped them with vanilla pastry cream and then drizzled everything with some melted chocolate!

Vanilla Pastry Cream
(makes 1 cup)

1 cup almond milk
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
2 TBSP cornstarch

In a small sauce pan, heat the almond milk to a boil.  Remove the milk from the heat and set it aside.  In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until it is fluffy and pale yellow.  Next add the cornstarch to the egg mixture and whisk until there are no lumps.  Now, whisk a little bit of milk into the egg mixture and mix completely. Slowly pour the rest of the milk into the egg mixture while it is being whisked. Next, pour the egg mixture through an strainer back into the sauce pan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it comes just to a boil and it has thickened.  Take off the heat and stir in the stevia. Pour into a container, cover the top of the pastry cream with plastic wrap sprayed with a little cooking spray(directly on it so it does not form a skin).  Allow to cool.  If you are going to use it immediately, just leave it out.  If it will be a while, refrigerate it and remove it about an hour before using.  

Chocolate Topping

1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life)
2-3 TBSP almond milk

Microwave for 35 seconds and stir to combine.  If you need a little more heat, microwave for 15 more seconds. Watch it so it does not boil over!

What favorite childhood junk food flavor do you make healthy now?

Labels: , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 7:56 AM  
23 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like