Saturday, June 12, 2010
Best Thing I Ate Yesterday...
I am definitely going to say this egg white omelet with Daiya, cabbage slaw and salsa!  I am here to tell you that you can actually take the Daiya fresh from the freezer, throw it in your omelet and it will still melt!  I was rationing the stuff and had to freeze some before we went out of town last weekend.  This is the first omelet,  in I can't tell you how long, that I put cheese in.  I took this shot and then...
Threw on the rest of my cabbage slaw!  I figured I may as well be honest about it!  Yeah, I eat a lot!  I love crunchy cabbage slaw on my eggs!  This combination was mighty tasty!  Crispy, crunchy, gooey, spicey...delicious!
I almost forgot to share this buckwheat flat bread I made a couple of weeks ago!  Do you have a recipe that you never leave alone?  I am always playing with my flat bread recipes.  I wanted something quick, so this does not have yeast.  I really liked this one and will definitely be making it again soon!

Oat Buckwheat Flat Bread

1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup warm water
1 TBSP flax meal

If using whole oats, grind them up a little in a food processor (to the consistency of quick oats, not flour).  Mix all the dry ingredients together and then add the warm water.  I added 1/2 cup + 2 TBSP at this point.  Allow to rest for about 15 minutes.  Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  When ready, see if it needs a little more water. I like it to be a little on the wet side, for moisture.  You won't be able to hold it like regular pizza dough, but you will be able to touch it with wet hands and form it into a round shape on a parchment lined sheet pan.  Bake for 10 minutes with nothing on it.  Then top it however you like and bake it for another 10 to 20 minutes depending on how much you put on it.

By the way, Evan is giving away an ice cream maker...go check it out!

Labels: , , , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 11:07 AM  
14 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like