Saturday, May 1, 2010
Quinoa Flat Bread
I have been on a quinoa craze lately.  I have also been on a flat bread craze.  So, what do you do when you are crazy about a couple of foods...you mix them together!  I wish I had more time to enjoy this meal.  I totally stuffed it down my throat as I was running out the door to take Max to his play last night.  He was the prince in Snow White!  It was awesome!  Anyway, I had planned to make pizza tonight so I made the dough for every one's pizza earlier in the day.  I wanted to make things easy and I wanted to make it a fun night.  So, for my dough, I put it together at noon and placed it the fridge.  It could have been made even earlier.  I have discovered that yeast dough is so much better when you put it together and let it rise in the fridge over night.  The down side to my meal...I inhaled it.  I hate doing that.  I am a "savour the meal" kind of person and that totally ruined it for me.  When I eat, I do the whole thing...sight, smell, texture and feel.  I am a freak when it comes to food, but that is how I eat...especially with things I create!  It was really my own fault.  I just needed more time and pizza was probably not the right call for tonight.  Oh well, I will definitely be making this again soon!  I was amazed at the texture of the crust.  It was crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.  It had a great whole grain flavor too, which I love with pizza!  It is gluten free and really easy to put together.  I doubled up on the quinoa by putting some on top too.  It was so good, but I had to eat it with a fork (which added more time...oh, and take pictures)!!!  The quinoa on top got nice and crispy.  I also put herbs de provence on top.  I LOVE herbs de provence.  This felt like such a girly meal...I had little purple flowers on my pizza!  Anyway, I plan to make this again really soon because I want to have the food experience with it.
Quinoa Flat Bread
1 serving

1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup oats
2 TBSP flax meal
6 TSBP hot (110-120 degrees) water (plus a little more to the side if needed)
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp quick rise yeast

Mix your flax meal and 6 TBSP hot water in a bowl and set aside for about 5 minutes.  In a food processor puree your quinoa.  It will still be chunky, but that is ok.  Now add the oats and do the same.  Next add everything else and puree enough to mix everything together and activate the yeast.  I ended up adding 1 more TBSP of hot water.  This mixture will be a little looser than regular wheat dough, but it should be easy to handle.  Spray a bowl with cooking spray and place your dough in the bowl.  Cover it and place it in the fridge for as long as you would like.  About an hour to 30 minutes before you are going to bake it, pull it out of the fridge and place it next to your preheating oven.   Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  Place the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet, wet your hands and spread out the dough to your desired thickness.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Top it however you like and bake for 10 to 20 minutes...depending on what you put on it.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 9:50 AM  
15 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like