Saturday, May 29, 2010
Gluten Free Pizzelles
I have to admit, I never had these before I met the illustrator.  I am noticing more and more when I write that my mother-in-law influences a lot of my cooking/baking.  I guess that's because I like suggestions from the illustrator since it is hard for me to focus on what to make all the time!
I was introduced to pizzelles years ago when my mother-in-law gave me my first pizzelle maker.  I can honestly say that we wore that machine out.  This one is a new one that my sister-in-law gave us as a gift (a year and a half ago) and it has never been used until now.  I am glad that I waited to use it so it has never had regular flour on it.  My procrastination paid off this time!  Since the illustrator was diagnosed with celiac, I don't use the same waffle iron for him that I use for the boys either.  We all eat mostly gluten free now...it is just easier and well, healthier.  Cross contamination is a huge NO NO in my house.  So, you can see why I was happy that this was completely clean!
Anyway, pizzelles...from what I have read, they are a small, round and flat cookie made with batter originating in Italy.  I would have to agree with that.  Think waffle cone, but smaller and flatter.  They are also super easy to make and a really tasty treat!  This machine came with a wooden shaper for small cones, but since I went for a thicker cookie, they did not bend.  I also made them gluten free, so that may be another reason why they were not stretchy.  Oh well, the cone would have been too small anyway.
I don't know why I don't make these more often.  They are so loved in this house.  They are perfect for making ice cream sandwiches or dipping in your ice cream (or coffee).
However, I think the favorite way to eat them is with chocolate spread and peanut butter!  These are not super sweet like a waffle cone would be.  I like to make them a little less sweet since we aren't a sweet devouring family and when you add sweet things to them, they are perfect!

Gluten Free Pizzelles

1 egg
3 TBSP raw sugar
10 drops vanilla NuNaturals stevia
3 TBSP melted and cooled Smart Balance Light (with flax)
3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill white rice flour
3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup almond milk

Mix it all together and then cook according you the directions for your machine.

We are going on a work trip to Charlotte next weekend and I think I am going to take these along for snacks.  Now that the illustrator needs hobo snacks (that is what he used to call all the snacks I take with me on trips), I have to come up with options for both of us to travel with.  I always bake stuff for that trip since we don't get a whole lot of time to eat during the day and we like to keep our spending to a minimum.  I am also giving these a try with a flax egg to make them vegan...just cause I can't leave anything alone.  Besides, everybody could use a little extra fiber in their lives, right Laura?

Have you ever had pizzelles?  If so, what is your favorite way to eat them?  I am thinking some seven minute icing would be a perfect spread too!

Don't forget to enter the NuNaturals giveaway!

Labels: , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 12:19 PM  
14 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like