Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Potato Salad...my way!
Let's start with my old friend that is back in my life!  Iced tea!!!  The illustrator and I used to go through 3 quarts of super sweet Southern style tea every night!  This was in our college days.  Ugh, looking back, I have no idea how we did this!  I have not had iced tea of any kind in years.  I think I just got so tired of it.  Not to mention that my tastes have totally changed and I can't handle super sweet stuff anymore.  Well, I don't think I mentioned this, but our upstairs air conditioner is broken and we are patiently waiting for the part to repair it.  This would not be a huge deal, but most of our life is upstairs (work/sleep).  It is not horrible at night since we have moved all of our beds downstairs (we have to airconditioners...just more to break), but in the heat of the day...it can get kinda rough.  I drink a lot of water everyday.  Seriously, I drink about 18 cups of water everyday.  Since I have been drinking more due to the heat, I have wanted something with flavor.  The illustrator recommended we make tea and add a little stevia to sweeten it a little instead of drinking humming bird food.  I told him we could give it a try, but I was nervous that I would not even like the flavor of the tea any more.  Well, it hit the spot!  I dropped a few drops of NuNaturals Vanilla Stevia in my glass and it was so good.  I have really enjoyed out tea ritual in the afternoons!

I love tea with fruit.  So snack time has been a bonus of refreshing goodness!

Dinner tonight was a big hit for me too!  We had a few more odds and ends hanging around and I wanted to put them all together.  So, I decided to do my version of potato salad!  I DO NOT do mayonnaise!  I can not even stand the smell of it.  So, this one has my favorite creamy spread...hummus! I mixed together 1 (warm) baked potato, oven roasted asparagus,  (warm) chickpeas, hummus and a few sprinkles of turmeric!  All of this with a little Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper on a bed of crispy romaine...I could have bathed in this bowl!  I was so sad it was over!  Perfect combination of creamy, crispy, warm and cool!  Loved it!!!

Ok, this is a weird question...when you eat something that is really good, are you sad the dish is over?  I guess that is what having a passion for food and flavors is all about, but lately, since I have really been exploring new flavor combinations...I have really been loving my food!

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 7:40 PM  
14 Comments:
  • At April 13, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Anonymous Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) said…

    Yum, potato salad with hummus? I like the sounds of that!

     
  • At April 13, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh man - I LOVE this potato salad idea!! Never would have thought to use hummus - but I absolutely hate mayonnaise, too. I think it may very well be the one food that truly just makes me cringe (sorry to the mayo lovers!! No hard feelings)
    And I've been truly loving and enjoying my meals lately, too. It's a good thing when you're a little sad it's over! I usually think "okay. I'm having that for dinner, too. And lunch tomorrow." haha. luckily, I change my mind and don't eat the same thing over and over ;)

     
  • At April 13, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Blogger bridget said…

    yes! especially when dessert is over. i'm glad i'm not the only one.

     
  • At April 14, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Anonymous kickpleat said…

    Now I'm craving iced tea even though it's nowhere near hot yet. And I love your salad idea too. Sounds perfect. I too miss my meals and feel bad that the last bite will soon be gone. Sigh.

     
  • At April 14, 2010 at 5:09 AM, Anonymous Jenn (j3nn.net) said…

    I love iced tea sweetened with liquid stevia. Try lemonade sweetened with it, too, if you like lemonade. :)

    Yes, I often mourn the end of yummy food. lol Your potato salad looks delish!

    Jenn

     
  • At April 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Anonymous Danielle (Coffee Run) said…

    I love the idea of hummus as the dressing in potato salad! I really don't like mayo either...I mean it's fine mixed into stuff or if it's spread very thin on a piece of bread. But anything more and it's sort of :?

    I'm def. more of an iced coffee person! (Prob not as good for you lol)

     
  • At April 14, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Blogger Averie @ Averie Cooks said…

    I love iced coffee more than tea but either work...and i LOVE my nu nat vanilla drops...omg they are the BEST!

     
  • At April 14, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Anonymous Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly said…

    I don't like iced or hot tea...not sure why. Just not a tea gal! But now coffee...oh a completely different story! haha!

     
  • At April 14, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Blogger Stacie said…

    I drink unsweet tea all of the time. Prefer it to everything else I drink...except well beer of course! That potato salad looks wonderful!

    BTW, Starbucks has milk, gluten, and nut free sugar cookies in a little bag that are really good. I ordered them for Lucy today because they were out of the regular kind. They were really good and guess what they're called? Lucy's cookies. HA!

     
  • At April 15, 2010 at 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg said…

    Using hummus instead of mayo is such a great idea!!

    Oh my gosh, I went to college in South Carolina, and I TOTALLY overdid it on the sweet tea. I burned myself out on it, like you-- and good thing! lol.

     
  • At April 15, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That looks awesome! I'm going to try this!!

     
  • At April 15, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Blogger Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said…

    haha i do get sad when my meal is over sometimes!! always usualyl with my oatmeal! I always want more after just one serving, but when I have it once a day it makes it A-OK!

     
  • At April 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Anonymous Nutritous Foodie said…

    I used to love Mayo...when I high school someone dared me to have jello and mayo... yuk... and I ate the entire bowl.. (the thought of it now even grosses me out) I no longer eat anything that contains mayo... yuk

     
  • At July 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Blogger Corrie Anne said…

    I HATE MAYO! Hummus is my fave too! I want to try it!!!!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like