Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Polenta Breakfast Pizza
I have been eyeing this polenta pizza over at Nutritious Foodie and wanted to play around with it a little.  I love baked polenta.  I am a texture person in a good way!  I love the sound of crunch when I eat.  I know that seems weird to some people, but I prefer a good crunchy granola or cereal on top of my oats!  My kids on the other hand...not so much.  While I know they liked the pizza, I don't think they loved it.  Unfortunately...I think it was a texture issue.  The illustrator really liked it, but let's be honest, if I put bacon on anything...he would eat it!
I loved that I did not have to put cheese on it either!  Mine was salsa and egg.  I loved the combination.  The only part that was disappointing was that the yolk got cooked too my.  I wanted a runny egg for this.  I wanted the yolk to be more of a sauce.  Oh well, it was really good regardless!
The boys pizza was eggs and bacon (and cheese).  They loved that combination!  I had not doubt in that though!
I added rice flour and baking powder to the mix so it would be a little more sturdy and give it some lift.  You could actually pick it up!  It was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside...YUM!
Polenta Pizza Crust
(adapted from Nutritious Foodie)

1 cup gluten free polenta
3 cups water
1/4 cup white rice flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Bring the water to a boil.  When water comes to a boil, slowly wisk in the polenta lower the water to simmer.  Continue to wisk for 4 minutes until the polenta is thick and comes together.  Remove the polenta from the heat.  In a separate bowl combine the white rice flour, baking powder and salt.  Next add the rice flour mixture to the polenta and stir to combine everything.  Let it sit for a minute while the oven preheats to 350 degrees.  Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and spread the polenta out after it has rested for a few minutes.  Wet your hands with some water and you can then press the polenta out to the shape you want.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Now, bump the temperature up to 425 degrees.  Next, top it however you like.  I then baked it for another 20 to 25 minutes.  Like I said, my egg yolk cooked too much, but I have some ideas for the next time!  

Nice thick crust!  
Ok, now here is another weird thing I do.  My favorite go to thing for eggs is cabbage slaw.  There I go with the crunch again...
My vision was for the egg yolk to be a sauce on my cabbage and pizza...hmmm oh well...still quite tasty!

Are you a texture person with your food?  Do you like the crunch?  My father-in-law thinks I sound like a cow when I eat my evening snack.  That one is all about the crunch!

Labels: , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 6:03 PM  
16 Comments:
  • At April 21, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Anonymous homecookedem said…

    I WILL be making this!! I love polenta!! I tried making a polenta pizza crust a few years ago but it never crisped up like I wanted it to. This looks great though and I bet the rice flour helps out. Good idea about putting bacon on it... I'll have to try that with Andrew! ;)

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Anonymous Estela @ Weekly Bite said…

    This looks delicious! I have yet to try breakfast pizza!

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Anonymous Food Makes Fun Fuel said…

    I'm very in to textures.i can't help but feel 1/2 the time that's what I'm craving more than the food.
    What a fun new way to use polenta! I'd love to try this out. Egg, cheese, and bacon sounds like an interesting combo. I suppose why not

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Blogger Adrien said…

    Looks so freaking good- I'm like you, I love cereal or granola on top of anything- bran buds on oatmeal? check!

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This looks great - I love the idea of adding some flour and baking soda so you can lift it in one piece. Next time I do a polenta pizza Ill need to remember thaat one.
    And I like some crunch, too - but not too much, and it's best when paired with something soft :P I'll add some sort of nut to anything just for enough crunch, haha.

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg said…

    This looks awesome! I'm a huge fan of polenta-- I love serving stews over it in the winter!

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Anonymous kickpleat said…

    Maybe adding the egg in much later in the baking time would solve the over-cooked issue. A runny egg with this sounds lovely and it reminds me of a pizza with eggs we ordered in Germany once (it was fantastic). And I'm all for breakfast pizza, polenta crust or not. Yum.

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    I LOVE making polenta pizza, but I usually make it for dinner. This is a great idea for a different breakfast choice! I'll have to try this!

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Blogger Averie @ Averie Cooks said…

    polenta. never make it. And i loved what you said about ordering in a restaurant and since you're paying, you dont need to justify. SO TRUE!

    Anyway have a super night hon and glad you got the commenting form to work tonite...whew. :)

     
  • At April 22, 2010 at 6:16 AM, Blogger Talita said…

    Yummy! I've never saw a pizza like that. Looks so delicious!

     
  • At April 22, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Anonymous Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly said…

    Yum! I just recently tried polenta for the first time and I am now hooked! Thanks for this!

     
  • At April 22, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Anonymous Danielle (Coffee Run) said…

    I'll have to give polenta pizza another try! The first time failed :/

    I would say I'm a texture person...I like crunch but at the same time I like mush lol. For some reason, soggy tortillas are really good :D

     
  • At April 24, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Blogger Stacey said…

    The polenta pizza looks really good. I like that you did mini ones.

     
  • At April 24, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Blogger Farty Girl said…

    Polenta pizzas are the best! Have you ever tried Heidi's recipe on 101 Cookbooks? It's called cornmeal crunch, I think. It's really good!

     
  • At September 16, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Anonymous Gelareh | Nutritious Foodie said…

    WOW This looks really good. I never thought of making it for breakfast. I can't eat eggs anymore, I get really sick. there are times (not often) that miss them. Like right now looking at your creation.

     
  • At January 27, 2011 at 11:41 PM, Blogger Fallon said…

    I love polenta! Using it as a crust for pizza is an amazing idea.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like