Monday, April 12, 2010
Gluten Free Dairy Free Corn Dog Muffins
I can't believe the weekend went by so fast!  The illustrator and I worked on some kitchen reorganization on Saturday.  Sadly, it looks like we did nothing, but I think it is a bit more functional...I hope so anyway.  As for Sunday...we spent the entire day outside with friends.  We took the boys to Tallulah Gorge to see the water released from the dam.  It was the perfect day to be outside!  We hiked, looked at some of the most beautiful scenery, had a tasty picnic (hummus and cantaloupe were involved) and fed goats on a roof.  Then we came back home and had an incredible dinner!  The illustrator and I were ready to go back today!!!
(Mini corn dog muffins)

Unfortunately, after spring break, it is time to get back into our weekly routine.  We have a lot of odds and ends in the fridge from cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner every day last week.  So, I decided to do something a little fun for dinner for the boys.  I have a go to recipe that I work from for my cornbread muffins and I changed it up a little bit to make gluten free/dairy free corn dog muffins.  These could easily be made vegan, but I don't have any vegetarian/soy free hot dogs, so these were all for my guys.  I was told by the illustrator not to change this recipe.  So, I will give you the recipe as is even though I forgot something out of my original cornbread muffin recipe.  OOPPSS!  The muffins are crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside and slightly sweet.  YUM!
(Regular corn dog muffins)

Anyway, they all loved them even though Jay (11 year old) is not a huge fan of corn dogs, so I think this will stay in rotation.  I won't say these are healthy, but they are way better for you than the grease laden counterpart and they are lower in fat...so, a healthier option is what I will call these!  Everything in moderation...right?

(Daddy and baby)

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Corndog Muffins

2 1/4 cups regular almond milk 
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup coarse ground cornmeal 
1 cup corn flour 
½ cup white rice flour 
1 TBSP baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 TBSP honey
4 hot dogs (chopped up)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.

Stir together the milk and apple cider vinegar.  The milk will look curdled, but it is supposed to.  Then set aside.  In a separate bowl mix together the cornmeal, corn flour, rice flour, baking powder and salt.  Next, add the vanilla stevia extract and honey to the milk mixture.  Add the milk to the dry mixture and mix the ingredients together just until everything is combined.  Stir in the chopped hot dogs.  Scoop into prepared muffin pan and fill to the top of the cups.  Bake regular size muffins for 20 and mini muffins for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
(moist on the inside and crunchy on the outside)

This makes 24 minis plus 4 regular
or
12 regular

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 6:57 PM  
11 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like