Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Quinoa Vanilla Mousse
Just go with me here.  My brain has been going crazy lately with ideas.  Do you ever get that way when you are looking for something different?  Seriously, I am an oatmeal freak and I am not afraid to eat it all the time (as HEAB pointed out, woman, you know I love the stuff!).  I am trying to branch out on my grains.  I know, step back...I am crazy!  However, I know it is extremely important to get all of your nutrients through your diet.  I am a firm believer that there needs to be a balance in your diet.  Since I don't eat meat or soy, I do a lot of research on healthy food sources that are high in protein.  This past summer I fell in love with quinoa.  After reading about the health benefits of quinoa, I was sold!  Not only is it a great source of protein, but it is a complete protein.  Which means it contains all nice essential amino acids.  One of which is lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair.  Since I am an avid exerciser, this is really important to me.  When I took the leap into not eating meat any more, I discovered so many great ways to get the protein I need.  In fact I eat more protein now than I ever did before and I feel so much better!  I actually feel stronger!  

Quinoa Vanilla Mousse
1 cup cooked quinoa
17 grams vanilla protein powder (I have a sample packet of Sun Warrior Rice Protein)
1/4 cup almond milk
10 drops NuNaturals vanilla stevia (I love this stuff)

Puree everything in a food processor until smooth.  Scrape down in the middle of processing to make sure everything gets mixed in.  (Can be eaten hot or cold...I heated it up to go in the jar, it made the peanut butter all warm and swirled throughout the mousse!  So good! 

This recipe is very versatile, you can use as much of the protein powder as you like.  I was just testing things out for the first time.
This stuff is so good!  I had no idea what to expect.  I really did not think that it would get so smooth and creamy, but it did!  You can add more milk if you want it a little thinner, but I liked it just like this!  My husband and oldest son said that is looked like peanut butter.  That reminded me...I had an almost empty jar of peanut butter that I was saving for some oats...this was perfect!  The peanut butter was a perfect addition!

I recieved a sample packet from Sun Warrior after I contacted them inquiring about their product.  Protein powders are pretty expensive and I wanted to try a little before I forked out that kind of money on something I was going to have to choke down.  I know this is going to shock a lot of you, but this was my first taste of protein powder.  I really have no frame of reference as to what they should or do taste like.  I liked this one.  It had a nice vanilla flavor and it really added some good nutrition to my already nutrient filled mousse.  I also like that it is gluten, soy and dairy free so my husband and I can use the same product.  If anyone has any other suggestions on their favorites...let me know.  I know a very popular one is Jay Robb, which I am going to try next.

Labels: , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 9:16 AM  
12 Comments:
  • At March 3, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Anonymous Estela @ Weekly Bite said…

    this looks delicious! I would have never thought of that combo!

     
  • At March 3, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Anonymous Danielle (Coffee Run) said…

    Wow, you've never had protein powder?? You know it's bad if it tastes chalky (literally like a piece of chalk in your mouth). If you didn't detect that, then it must be good!
    I'm saving this recipe because I also love quinoa and I just recieved some NuNaturals vanilla stevia drops!

     
  • At March 3, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Blogger Adrien said…

    That looks delish- what's your favorite protein powder to use that tastes good? To me nothing tastes as good as whey- but I can't have it- do you have any advice here?

     
  • At March 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Blogger affectioknit said…

    That looks good - I have some quinoa - but no protein powder - maybe I'll try it with a little bit of soymilk powder...

     
  • At March 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Anonymous homecookedem said…

    This looks awesome!! I've been wanting to try out sun warrior.

     
  • At March 3, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Anonymous Kati @ Living Well said…

    First, thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm excited to know you don't do meat or dairy...as I'm trying to lean that way. The quinoa mousse sounds great! I've made quinoa before and didn't love it, but I need to give it another shot.

     
  • At March 3, 2010 at 11:25 PM, Anonymous Jenn (www.j3nn.net) said…

    Seems like everyone is getting away from grains these days. Not me though LOL. I love quinoa, I don't know why I don't eat it more often! Your mousse looks fabulous.

    Jenn

     
  • At March 4, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Anonymous Alisa said…

    You crazy lady - quinoa mousse! You never cease to amaze :)

    As for protein powder, I confess my husband and I find the rice stuff rather powdery and cakey. We both prefer the egg protein powder for versatility and taste, but have switched to hemp more recently. I like the HempPro 70

     
  • At March 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Blogger Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said…

    i LOVE sun warrior I have the big tub of vanilla and its SO good! I cant wait to try the chocolate after I run out :) two tubs at once is just too much for me haha. quinoa mousse sounds SO interesting love the recipe! there are SO manyveggie options for protein like you said! have you tried the gardein prodcuts? I just had the sante fe "chicken" and it was really tasty!

     
  • At March 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Anonymous Carbzilla said…

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! This looks sooooo yummy. I like vanilla even better than chocolate and a BIG fan of quinoa!

     
  • At March 8, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Blogger AMIT said…

    Is this a type of ice cream dish?

    post free classified ads

     
  • At March 8, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Anonymous Andrea (Off Her Cork) said…

    Quinoa mousse! AWESOME! What a great use of quinoa. :D

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like