Thursday, March 11, 2010
Oatbran Buckwheat Pancakes with Blueberry Ginger Sauce
(Oatbran Buckwheat Pancakes with Blueberry Ginger Sauce on the side.)

I think I am going to need some sort of intervention.  I am on a serious pancake craze lately!  I can't get enough of them.  I have been going heavy on the protein in my pancakes and I have also been experimenting with the toppings.  No boring maple syrup here!!!  After the oatbran pancake experiment from last week, I decided to play around with that base and add my favorite gluten free flour...buckwheat.  These pancakes are not gluten free, but could be if you used gluten free oatmeal instead of oatbran.  I just happen to be loving the oatbran lately!  The addition of buckwheat gave these more fluff than the oatbran pancakes had.  Buckwheat gives breads such a nice chew especially when you are dealing with gluten free flours.  I LOVE it!
I have been on a blueberry kick lately too.  Do you crave things and then eat them on everything?  I get on a kick with foods when I crave them and can't seem to get enough.  The blueberries are from a frozen stash I have from my in-laws' (sadly, they are gone).  I have seriously been loving them!  I made the sauce with a mixture of ginger preserves (mine are from Trader Joe's, but I saw some at World Market yesterday and I am sure Whole Foods has it), frozen blueberries and vanilla NuNaturals steviaThe illustrator was scooping the blueberry sauce off my pancakes and putting it on his vanilla muffins!  It was a perfect combination to compliment the buckwheat and cinnamon in the pancakes!
Oatbran Buckwheat Pancakes with Blueberry Ginger Sauce
(about 10 small pancakes - 1/4 cup each)

1 1/2 cups cooked oatbran
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
3/4 cup egg substitute (egg beaters, egg whites, 3 eggs or flax eggs)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
20 drops vanilla NuNatural stevia

Mix everything together and cook in a nonstick skillet.

Blueberry Ginger Sauce
(makes enough for one serving)

1 TBSP ginger preserves
1 TBSP water
6 drops vanilla NuNaturals stevia
1/4 cup blueberries

Microwave the ginger preserves and water together for about 45 seconds or until melted.  Add the stevia and blueberries to the preserves and microwave for 1 minute. 

Labels: , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 2:08 PM  
10 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like