Thursday, January 28, 2010
Flatbread Craze
We have been on a pizza craze around here lately! There was a time that I completely stayed away from it since we mostly ate pizza out and, at the time, we did not have options for dairy free pizza. Besides, isn't the cheese the best part...I have discovered...it is not! So, now that it is even harder to get pizza out for the gluten intolerant here(on the budget and for the stomach), we have been making our own. The illustrator really likes the Bob's Red Mill pizza dough. So, while I make that one for him and my gluten laden standby for the kids, I have been playing around with some gluten free options for me to try out before I give them to him. I hate working on something and have it turn out bad or worse than what he could have had. So, lately I have been making flatbread like crazy. I have been combining all kinds of flours. In all honesty, I haven't really come across any I don't like. This one from last night (hence the dark photos) was by far my favorite! It had a crispy bottom crust while it was soft and chewy on the inside. It is gluten free, so it's not your typical fluffy pizza dough. Which, for me, I really like! Don't get me wrong, I like fluffy pizza dough, but I have always loved flatbread.
This dough is really high in protein too! I love finding ways to get more protein in my diet and to be able to get it in my breads is even more of a bonus! I also decided to add some thinned out hummus on the top after I saw the idea on HEAB's site who got the idea from Mae's site. I did not have nutritional yeast (since I had a bad experience with it before), but I would like to try it out some time.
So, last nice was a delicious flatbread pizza with red peppers, green peppers, onion and hummus! So good...I will definitely be doing this more often! This is really so easy and so good!
Chickpea Oat Flatbread
for 1

1/2 cup oats (blend in the food processor for a second if using whole oats)
3 TBSP chickpea flour or garfava flour
1/2 tsp instant yeast
1/4 tsp salt
2 oz warm water (about 100-110 degrees)
3 TBSP egg whites (I used the kind in the carton, but you could use real or probably a whole egg)

Combine the oats, chickpea flour, yeast and salt in a bowl. Next, add the egg whites to the mixture and then the water. Mix it together really well for a minute to get everything mixed well and to agitate the yeast. Cover with a towel and put in a warm place for 30 minutes to an hour while you work on the other ingredients and preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Then pour the dough onto the lined baking sheet. Wet your hands and flatten the dough to make a round. It will be thinner in texture than regular pizza dough, but it will flatten out into a nice circle just make sure you keep your hands wet. Make it as thin as you like. Bake 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Then top it with your favorite toppings and bake for 10 more or until the dough is nice and crispy on the bottom.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 9:40 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At January 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Anonymous Estela @ Weekly Bite said…

    I love all these gluten free recipes you make!

     
  • At January 28, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    This sounds like a great recipe! I like my pizza crust to be thin & chewy too. I wonder if subbing the eggs for ground flax would work?

     
  • At January 28, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Blogger Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said…

    Thanks Estela!

    Danielle, I think it would work. I was really using it for a binder and thought about doing the flax too. Also, if you don't care about gluten free, you can use AP or whole wheat flour.

     
  • At January 28, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Anonymous Kelly said…

    AWESOME recipe! Have you ever tried the Udi's pizza crust? That is what my husband and I use and we love it!!! I like it because it is really thin and not doughy. But I am a thin cracker type of a pizza crust girl! It is the best GF brand I have found...hands down!

     
  • At January 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Anonymous homecookedem said…

    Hi!! Thank you so much for the sweet comment you left on my blog!! So cool that you are from Atlanta too!! :)

    I love this recipe, especially since it's gluten free and high in protein - sounds awesome!! Don't you just love HEAB and Mae?!! Thanks for sharing this recipe!! :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like