Thursday, December 3, 2009
Crustless Sweet Potato Pie
Since we all know how much I love pumpkin...the crustless pumpkin pie was a definite on the Thanksgiving table this year but, the illustrator had another idea. He is a fan of the sweet potato pie and had not had one for quite a while. I went with my standby crustless pumpkin pie recipe and made a couple of changes to make it gluten free. This pie was such a winner that I had to make another one a couple of days after Thanksgiving! So, I would have to say that this version is a new addition to the Thanksgiving list of favorites! (Just so you know, I made a pumpkin and 2 sweet potato pies this year...I am still shocked at how much these were loved!)
Crustless Sweet Potato Pie
serves 8

1 1/2 cups plain almond milk
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups mashed baked sweet potatoes (I baked my own)
2 TBSP sweet rice flour
2 TBSP brown rice flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9-inch deep dish pie pan with cooking spray. (I do not have this, so I used a 10 inch tart pan) A deep dish is recommended because this pie will rise a lot during cooking but will fall back down as it cools.

Put everything in a blender on high for 2 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides a couple of times to make sure everything is thoroughly blended. Pour into a pie pan and bake for about 60 minutes (mine was done at 45 minutes) . The top and edges should be brown, but the edges should not be over-done. (Since this is a custardy pie, using the standard toothpick or knife test does not work; it will remain somewhat moist in the center, but it shouldn't be uncooked.)

Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the counter. For best results, refrigerate until chilled before eating.

160 calories per slice
I wanted to show you the backside of this pie so you can see how the edge of the pie bakes up. Most people question how the heck do you make a crustless pumpkin/sweet potato pie. While the pie does not have a traditional crust, the edge forms a very sturdy base for this creamy pie.

Make sure you check out One Frugal Foodie for The 30 Minute Vegan give away!

Labels: ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 4:52 PM  
9 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like