Wednesday, October 7, 2009
'Tis The Season For Caramel Popcorn!
So, my favorite time of year has arrived! I love the fall season! The weather, the smell of fresh air, the food...the list goes on and on! Since I am having to come up with some different sweet treats lately that are gluten free. I figured I would make some caramel popcorn! This stuff makes your house smell so good! I got this recipe from Cooking Light and the only thing I changed was to use Smart Balance Light. Because, as you know, I have to lower the fat of everything I touch. This is a great recipe. It tastes very similar to Cracker Jacks. Even thought the flavor is there...I am going to mess with it some more the next time I make it! I want to get the corn syrup out of it and make it even healthier! So, I will get back to you on that when I try it! Until then, here is what I did...

Caramel Popcorn
(adapted from Cooking Light)

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light-colored corn syrup
1/3 cup Smart Balance Light
1 tablespoon molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 cups popcorn (popped without salt or fat)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Coat a large jelly roll pan or roasting pan with cooking spray.

Combine sugar, corn syrup, Smart Balance Light, and molasses in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes, stirring once. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Place popcorn in a large bowl; pour sugar mixture over popcorn and stir to coat.

Spread popcorn mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Remove from oven; stir to break up any large clumps. Cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Labels: ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 12:07 PM  
4 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like