Monday, October 19, 2009
Gluten Free Coconut Cupcakes
I am getting out of my fear of trying new flours. I have decided to just buy different flours when I see them and then find recipes to use them. Otherwise, I will always put it off. You know I can't waste anything, so if it is here...I will use it! I bought some rice flour at the International Farmers Market a couple of weeks ago. Just by chance, my sister came across a recipe for a rice flour cupcake. I made a few changes to the one she sent by lowering the fat, making them dairy free and adding the topping. I was so happy...my family loved these! Not only did I make them gluten free...they are dairy free, soy free and low fat! Sounds perfect to me! To make them dairy free, I used coconut oil. I have been reading a lot lately on the health benefits of coconut oil and thought it would be a great substitution for butter in this recipe. This was also one of those ingredients I bought to force myself to use it! I highly recommend going to the International Markets to get a lot of the "not so ordinary" items that you need. They are a lot less expensive at those types of places!
Coconut Rice Cupcakes
makes 12

1 cup rice flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 TBSP coconut oil
2 TBSP unsweetened applesauce
6 Tbsp natural cane sugar (got this at the International Farmers Market too)
1/2 cup egg substitute (I used egg beaters)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup almond milk (next time I am using coconut milk)
Glaze
Coconut

Preheat to 400.

Combine rice flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside. In a mixing bowl beat coconut oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg substitute slowly. Mix vanilla extract, then add flour mixture alternately with milk until just blended. Divide batter in a cupcake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 15 to 17 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool. Pour glaze over the top and sprinkle with coconut.

Glaze
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar mixed with enough water to make a thick glaze (about 1-2 TBSP)

Just to let you know before you start...the batter for this is very thin. Not like a cake batter at all. It bakes up nice and fluffy! This is a naked cupcake to test for tasting and texture. Then, it got the royal treatment!

Labels: , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 5:32 PM  
8 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like