Friday, September 11, 2009
Pancakes Galore
Um pancakes...how I love thee! So, I have a favorite basic pancake recipe, but I always play around with them. I find them to be so much fun to make and there are so many ways to eat these fluffy little pillows! The flavor combinations are endless. My family seems to think the only way to eat pancakes is with maple syrup and bacon. I, on the other hand, can do with out the bacon and well...I like fruit toppings. For the guys, I tried out the basic pancake recipe from Vegan Brunch. This made a nice fluffy pancake.
For me...I decided to do something totally different this time. I made my pancakes completely out of oats! So, they could be gluten free!!! I was very surprised that even with oats, these little babies were still lite and fluffy with a little chew to them! I also thought I would try a quick little topping for them. I am a self proclaimed apple snob. I said it...I hate a mushy apple! They actually gag me. Well, I had a sad apple (I can't even remember what kind it was...it just was not right) hanging out in the fridge. I bought a couple of apples that were not my usual Fujis because my store was out and I was feeling adventurous. I was dissapointed that they were not acceptable for my picky apple palate! I don't throw anything away, so these were destined to be the topping for my oatmeal pancake adventures!
Oatmeal Pancakes

1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup vanilla oat milk (I really liked this...my friend got it for me at the co op and I will share about it later)
1/2 cup water
1 TBSP baking powder
1/4 cup egg substitute (I used egg beaters, but you could use a vegan substitute too)

Combine the oatmeal with oat milk and water; refrigerate for an hour (or overnight would work if you are a morning pancake eater). Next combine the rest of the ingredients with the oat mixture and cook on a nonstick griddle coated with cooking spray. You will notice they are ready to flip when they look cooked around the edges. Serve with syrup or fruit topping.

Microwave Apples

Peel and slice apples. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir. Cook for another minute or two depending on the firmness of the apple (mine were mealy so it only took 3 minutes). Add sugar, cinnamon or nutmeg (or all) and serve on top of those oatmeal pancakes!

Labels: , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 2:17 PM  
6 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like