Monday, September 7, 2009
Oatgurt
Anyone that knows me or reads this blog, knows that I have a kind of unnatural fondness of oats. While reading blogs a while back I came across this from La Belle Vegan which led me to this from Heather Eats Almond Butter. I was completely intrigued by the idea of making my own belly loving probiotics! I am always looking for things to help out my stomach problems since IBS is such a pain to deal with! So, when I saw this recipe to combine two of my favorite food loves...yogurt and oatmeal...I knew I had to try it out. So, I got some oat groats from the bulk bin and set my bowl out to soak over night (1 cup groats covered with a little extra water - about 1 1/4 cups). The worst part about this, is the waiting! The next day, I ground the the water and groats in my blender to make a thick oat concoction (I added 1/4 cup water to help it blend). I put it in one of my old hand-me-down pyrex bowls (I thought it was fitting since this feels like something that was made years ago), covered it with a paper towel, placed a wooden spoon over it to hold it down and waited...and waited. I added a little extra water (1/4 cup) to it after 24 hours since it was so thick and gave it a little stir. The original recipe that I got this from has a heater placed next to it for the 2 days. I just put it next to my toaster oven (which is next to my stove) and turned the toaster oven on every once in a while to raise the temperature around it.
After 48 hours, I gave it a stir and put it in a glass jar and placed in in the fridge. I did give it a little taste at that point. Well, it tastes like an unsweetened yogurt. I have played around with it and so far, my favorite way to eat it is a 50/50 ratio with my oatmeal. The oatgurt adds such a creamy thick texture to oatmeal. It is incredible! Heather references where she got the recipe from and there is quite a bit of information on that page about the health benefits of oatgurt so, I highly recommend taking a look at it. It also gives you different options for making this incredibly edible tummy satisfying concoction!

(This is 50/50 oatgurt banana split topped with no sugar added strawberry preserves and homemade cashew butter...this was so freakin' good!)

I like the idea of using oat groats, since they are unprocessed and retain so much more of the good stuff! Here is a little bit I have learned about oats lately...they are high in potassium, have useful amounts of calcium and are also a fair source of protein. They are also moderately rich in B vitamins. All of these sound like a good deal to me!

PS...Alisa at One Frugal Foodie is giving away Vegan Brunch and Vegan Soul Kitchen...go enter!

Labels:

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 9:40 AM  
7 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like