Monday, September 28, 2009
Ginger Cookies
Ginger is a favorite spice around this house. Not only is it really tasty, it also helps with tummy troubles! I have used ginger supplements for many years now to settle my stomach from IBS. I love that it can be used in savory and sweets dishes too. I am a huge fan of things that have multiple uses in the kitchen! The illustrator has always been a fan of gingersnaps, so when I came across this recipe from David Lebovitz's site for nonfat gingersnaps, I new I had to try it! I am always curious when you can bake up a fat free cookie that still holds it's shape. I was a little skeptical, but I really wanted to try them. I have to say that I am quite intrigued by the consistancy of these cookies. They are not crispy as the word snap would imply. They are, however the most wonderful chewy texture! I give the use of candied ginger the credit for this texture. The flavor is really nice too! This is definitely going to be my new holiday cookie! Seriously, who couldn't use a fat free cookie around the holidays? I, personally, think you could cut back on some of the sugar too, so I am going to try that out next time. I will also cut out the black pepper because I think that made it a little too spicy for the kids. They liked them, but they made comments on how much spice they had. I made a couple of changes, so I will post those here. These also stay moist and chewy for days so they would be great as holiday gifts! Make sure you check out the original recipe since David gives you a couple of other variations.
Nonfat Gingersnaps
(adapted from David Lebovitz)
30 cookies

1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup molasses
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground dried ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
¼ cup egg substitute (like egg beaters)
1/2 cup finely-chopped candied ginger

1/4 cup sugar mixed with a 1 TBSP of cinnamon for rolling the cookies

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, applesauce, and molasses for five minutes at medium speed, with the paddle attachment. Next, mix together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt (set aside). Scrape down the sides of the bowl of the sugar mixture then add the egg substitute. Beat until well combined. Then add the dry ingredients and mix at low speed until completely incorporated. Stir in the chopped candied ginger. Chill the batter in the freezer for an hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl. Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough into the sugar cinnamon mixture. Coat the dough well. Form the dough into balls. Place them on the cookie sheets. Leave some room for them to spread. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until the cookies feel just barely set in the center. Remove from oven and cool on the pan.

82 calories per cookie

**Now I need to work on a gluten free option!

Labels: ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 12:56 PM  
8 Comments:
  • At September 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Blogger LizNoVeggieGirl said…

    Ginger cookies are not only tasty, but good for the tummy as well - LOVE IT!! :-D

    And yes, a gluten-free version would be fabulous; although those cookies sound perfect as-is to me!

     
  • At September 28, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Blogger Peabody said…

    Our Fall weather is making me crave these even more than usual. They look soft and delish.

     
  • At October 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Anonymous Dawn (HealthySDLiving) said…

    These look so delicious!

     
  • At October 5, 2009 at 3:33 AM, Blogger kickpleat said…

    I love ginger cookies (well, pretty much anything ginger!) and these look good. I remember seeing this recipe and I'm glad it's a good one.

     
  • At October 5, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    These look great! I LOVE chewy gingersnaps (these are really molasses cookies), and the candied ginger is a great addition. I really must make these, guilt-free, this weekend. I bet the egg substitute gives it a bit of fluffiness. Yum!

     
  • At October 10, 2009 at 4:17 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    Yum! I'm definitely a chewy cookie person rather than a crispy cookie person. And yay for tummy friendly food!

     
  • At December 19, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Anonymous Katie said…

    I just made these gluten free with a few minor substitutions and they are GREAT!! I used erythritol instead of brown sugar and pumpkin instead of applesauce, but followed the recipe otherwise. I used a mix of sorghum and millet for the flour.

    DELICIOUS!!! And they spread like normal cookies.

     
  • At October 13, 2014 at 12:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    These look incredible!! To make them Vegan I need to use an egg substitute, is it okay to use something like flax seed and how do I change that from 1/4 cup? Thanks :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like