Tuesday, August 18, 2009
The Vegan Scoop
If you are an ice cream enthusiast like myself, you will love The Vegan Scoop by Wheeler Del Torro! This book is not only filled with great dairy free ice cream recipes, it is loaded with great recipes to go with all of the ice creams you will make. The Vegan Scoop comes in a fun colorful package, as well. I love great photos in cookbooks and this one is full of colorful pictures that will entice you to make more and more!
The book starts off by explaining the different ingredients that are used in the book. It also gives you a list of tips and techniques to help you make a great frozen dessert product at home. I started off with making vanilla. I wanted to see what the consistency of the ice cream would be like. Let's be honest, vanilla is the true test for ice cream!
I have to say that I was completely shocked with how scoopable this was right from the freezer!
I then decided to try out the recipe for hot fudge. This was the perfect topper for this creamy, dairy free ice cream treat!
The next ice cream flavor I tried out was nectarine. Well, I actually had a surplus of fresh peaches from South Carolina, so I substituted the nectarines with its fuzzy cousin...the peach. This recipe did not fail me either! It was very creamy and had a great peach flavor! The only complaint I have is that all of the recipes say they make about a quart and that is really not the case. So, be careful that your ice cream maker can make more that a quart because the peach recipe makes more than that. If you look at the quantities in the ingredients list, you will be able to tell that the recipe makes more. Other than that, these ice cream recipes have me excited to try more...
For my last recipe from the book (just for now) I tried out the twinkie recipe. I wish that I had a twinkie pan, but I don't so these were baked in a muffin pan. Even though they don't look like twinkies, my boys loved them. If you ask me, that is a winning vote! I don't know that I would call them twinkies, but they were a great little snack cake. I would like to try them again with a twinkie pan next time! I think that is the only way to truely judge how close it is to a twinkie. If you are looking for great dairy free ice cream recipes that you can make at home (so much cheaper than store bought) and you don't live close enough to get the real deal from Wheeler, then The Vegan Scoop from Wheeler Del Torro is the book for you!

Since I can't share his recipes...you NEED to get this book, if you want to make some ice cream NOW my oatmeal ice cream recipe is here.
Review for Go Dairy Free.

Labels: ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 1:25 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like