Friday, August 14, 2009
Cookie Cake Conquered!
So, my kids are not the normal cake kids when it comes to birthday treats. They would go for cookies way before they would go for cake. Normally, that is not a problem here, but when it comes to birthdays, that normally means dropping $40 for a cake. That is a huge hit for someone that is not afraid to make get in the kitchen and bake! I am of the opinion though, that you get what you want food wise on your birthday. That is the way I grew up and let's be honest, as you get older, really that is the highlight of the day! So, this year, my oldest son asked for me to make a cookie cake. I have to admit...I got scared. Cookies are one thing, but a huge cookie...that can lead to some problems! So, I did a little research and came across this recipe from allrecipes.com. I read the reviews, took a deep breath and off I went to see what kind of mess I could make out of the cookie cake. I realized half way through the process that I did not have a true pizza pan, so I had to improvise with a cookie sheet. I had no illusions that it would work, so I just did it and hoped for the best. The only changes I made were to use Earth Balance and I baked it in a different pan (oh and no nuts for this clan). I also bought the icing because I knew what Jay wanted on it.
(This is the one that Jay finished decorating. The one on the bottom of the page is the one I did for him. For some reason, he did not want the flowers and balloons that I was wanting to put on it!)

Giant Cookie Cake
(adapted from allrecipes.com)

1 cup butter, softened (I used Earth Balance)
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups dairy free chocolate chips

In large bowl, beat dairy free butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and beat until well blended. Next add the chocolate chips. Spread on a parchment lined 10 1/2x15 inch cookie sheet or 14 inch pizza pan. (I refrigerated the cookie on the pan for about 30 minutes at this point) Bake at 375 degrees for 18 to 25 minutes. Cool cookie in pan on a cooling rack. Decorate as desired.

Labels: ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 8:32 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At August 15, 2009 at 2:46 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    Oh wow!!! I love cookies but I hate making them. I'm more of a muffin person. This looks like my perfect cookie!!

     
  • At August 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Blogger miss v said…

    i assume it was good since you posted the recipe? i never though i could make a giant cookie, but you've given me inspiration!

     
  • At August 16, 2009 at 1:57 AM, Anonymous Alisa said…

    That came out great! Cookies beat out cake anyday :)

     
  • At February 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooh la la - you've now planted the idea in my head that I want a cookie cake this year instead of cake-cake! Your boys are smart - I'm with them on the "cookies trump cake" thing.
    Sooo...now I've got three reasons to be excited to turn 21: a. so I can buy beer to BAKE with, b. so I can buy white wine to COOK with, and c. so i can have a cookie cake.
    My priorities are in line, don't you think?!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like