Sunday, August 23, 2009
Caramel Gooey Bars and Go Max Go Candy Bars
I will start with the review of the Go Max Go candy bars. Ok, how many people out there (who can't have milk chocolate) have told somebody about dairy free chocolate and got the "EEEWWW GROSS" comment? I always explain to them that chocolate it not dairy. In fact, we all seem to like dairy free chocolate around here more...as I learned from the reviews I got around here! There are four different flavors...Buccaneer, Twilight, Jokerz and Mahalo. All 4 flavors are the dairy equivalent of the major name brands. Now, to be honest, I am not a candy bar buff..I know...the travesty. So, I decided to let the real judges have a go at it. Well, the reviews I got were more than outstanding!!! Within an hour of having the bars in the house, the illustrator wanted to try the Mahalo. He actually said the Mahalo tasted better than the dairy counter part! He said, "It tastes fresher and more like real coconut". I even heard him telling other people about it who can have dairy! As you can see, I did not get a chance to get a picture of each candy bar before it was comsumed because every time I turned around...the kids were going for the non-dairy bars!
My youngest son has already told me that I need to get more...so I would say that these are a winner here! Another score for our dairy free community!
Now, for the caramel gooey bars. I can not take the credit for this one. My sister is the one that gave me this recipe. I am not sure where it originates from, but whomever came up with this little concoction from heaven, is a super genious! I don't make these often because the illustrator does not want to be responsible for eating them...they are addictive! Seriously, can you really go wrong with oatmeal, brown sugar, caramel and chocolate??? So, make these with caution because you will start to own people with the lure of the caramel gooey bars! Oh and thank you T for the recipe!!!
Caramel Gooey Bars
(from my sister)

2 1/4 c Flour
2 c Quick Cooking Oats
1 1/2 c Brown Sugar, packed (dark or light)
1 t Baking Soda
1/2 t Salt
1 1/2 c Cold Dairy Free Butter (EarthBalance)
2 c Dairy Free Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (your favorite brand)
1 c Pecans, chopped (I never use these)
12 oz Caramel Sauce(use your favorite recipe - or let me know if you need one)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, combine 2 cups flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
Cut in butter until crumbly. Set half aside for topping.
Press the remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13 x 9 baking pan.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and pecans.
Whisk caramel topping and remaining flour until smooth. Drizzle over top.
Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
Bake an additional 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours before cutting.

These are easily made the day before you are serving them. They meld together and are easier to cut...you just have to be willing to wait.
Review for Go Dairy Free

Labels: ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 12:02 PM  
14 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like