Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Oatmeal Ice Cream
This ice cream is, in fact, oatmeal. I started to think about it while I was eating my oatmeal and loving how creamy it was. I wondered if it would work to make my favorite breakfast into ice cream??? I started to look at what my options were for milk, sweeteners and emulsifiers. Now, I must warn you that I am not a super sweet ice cream fan. I, actually, used to be more of a frozen yogurt kind of person. So, I go a little lighter on the sweetener than most probably would. If you want it sweeter, I would use some liquid sweetener (maybe agave nectar). This ice cream is very creamy. It does harden up in the freezer, but if you sit it out for about 10 minutes before serving it, it will soften up!
I like using a little Truvia in this recipe to cut down the sugar and it has erythritol in it (an alcohol) that helps the ice cream not freeze up too solid. I also make vanilla extract at home so it is made with vodka. The alcohol in my vanilla is also good for it not freezing so hard.

Oatmeal Brown Sugar Ice Cream

2 ½ cups light soy milk
1/3 cup quick oats
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 packs Truvia
1 TBSP Arrowroot powder
1 TBSP vanilla extract
pinch salt

Combine ¼ cup soymilk and arrowroot and set aside.

Combine soy milk, oats, sugar, Truvia and salt. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally. When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. After 5 minutes, turn off the heat. Stir in the arrowroot slurry until mixture is slightly thickened. Stir in vanilla and refrigerate until chilled. Pour into ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturers directions.

Makes 2 ½ cups
115/ half cup

Labels:

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 5:04 PM  
17 Comments:
  • At May 20, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    GENIUS!!! I think this is one of the best ideas I have ever seen. I must make it soon!

    Is the truvia necessary? I use a plain stevia (with nothing else added) so it wouldn't affect the alcohol levels.

     
  • At May 20, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Blogger Suzanne said…

    Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! That sounds so good, I wish I had it made now.

     
  • At May 20, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Blogger Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said…

    Shelby - I am sure you could use stevia. I have never tried it out of fear. I am afraid of the flavor. Truvia is stevia too. If you try it and like it, let me know how it turns out!

    Suzanne - Let me know what you think!

     
  • At May 20, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Anonymous Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) said…

    I am new to your blog and I must say it is great. This recipe is total brilliance! I am most definitely trying it- subbing in homemade almond milk for the soy milk. Looks amazing. Bet it would be good too to add some vanilla extract.

     
  • At May 21, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Blogger Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said…

    Meghan - I have not tried it with Almond milk. I am curious to know how it turns out. The vanilla in the recipe is vanilla extract. I forgot to write the word extract! You may need a little more arrowroot powder with the almond milk due to there not being as much fat in the milk.

     
  • At May 21, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Anonymous Alisa - Frugal Foodie said…

    I knew it! When I thought about it a second time I knew it had to be oats. They work great for creamy, and low fat in this case! Great idea, will be trying.

    Hmm, I don't use soy either, but I have another idea :)

     
  • At May 21, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Blogger laura said…

    This is AWESOME! I knew it was time to break out the ice cream maker and now I have a great reason to. Thank you! :)

     
  • At May 21, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Blogger kickpleat said…

    I love the idea of oatmeal ice cream!! Yum, what a great idea.

     
  • At May 22, 2009 at 6:11 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    Soy free wonderful creamy vegan ice cream??!?!? I think I'm the happiest girl on earth! I can't wait to give this a go (forget the fact that it's the start of winter here :P)

     
  • At May 22, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Blogger Elyse said…

    Mmm, I love the idea of an oatmeal ice cream. How genius! Does this mean that we get to eat it for breakfast? I totally would! (Ooo, or maybe ice cream and WAFFLES for breakfast!)

     
  • At August 16, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Blogger Beth said…

    Thanks for this recipe!! I have made this several times for my daughter who has a bunch of food allergies. I have made some substitutions namely left out the vanilla (flavored it with blueberries), used hemp milk, and used tapioca starch in place of the arrowroot. This time when I made it I doubled the oats and it was so incredibly creamy. Oh, I also leave out the stevia and just use white sugar. Thanks again, this was exactly what I was looking for :)

     
  • At August 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Blogger Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said…

    Beth, I can't tell you how much you just made my day! I am so happy that someone else made it and loved it as much as I do. I have been craving it lately and will be making it again soon too! Thank you for your kind words and I am so glad your daughter loves it as much as I do!

     
  • At January 4, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Blogger HEAB said…

    I love you.

     
  • At February 22, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Anonymous Kelly said…

    OMG! I want this now!!! Holy yum!!

     
  • At March 8, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Blogger Farty Girl said…

    WOW. Just wow. Thank you for commenting on my blog. If you hadn't, I would've never found this. I feel like my life is complete.

     
  • At January 12, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmm. I don't have access to an ice cream machine, but I have made frozen yogurt without one. I wonder if I could process oatgurt in the freezer to make frozen oatgurt. It's worth a shot!!!

     
  • At July 15, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Anonymous LaurieKay said…

    Such a great idea! The three worst things you can combine is milk, sugar and eggs which is what icecream and custards are usually made of. The combo goes right to the arteries. Smart cookin' Ladies!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like