Friday, May 15, 2009
Potato Rolls
Those of you who have been reading, know that I have been on a search for a soft homemade yeast bread recipe for our everyday bread. Well, even though I have not posted on it in a while, I have still been on the hunt. I have done quite a bit of research on what makes a softer bread and I have finally found one that I am completely comfortable with and will continue to make on a regular basis!
The secret ingredient...potato! Yes, the overstock of potato in my pantry has higher meaning...a bigger purpose if you will...to feed my yeast and make my bread rise! While part of my reading has come from the internet (I love to read other people's opinions on what works and what does not), the other part of my research has been from books that I have in my own collection. One of my favorite resources is Go Dairy Free! There is a recipe for Tender Squash Rolls in this book that I have had my eye on since I got it. I wondered if I could modify it to fit the bill for my families needs/wants using potato instead of squash. I mean, I have nothing against using squash (seriously, I eat pumpkin almost everyday), but I have so many potatoes that need to be eaten! So, I tweaked it and I have found a winner! These were gone in one night. I know that seems bad, but they are low sugar/fat and we used them for our black eyed pea burgers.
I will share my changes, but you really should get this book. It only proves that having a great resource like this helps guide you to make things that will suit your own families needs/wants!
(See how happy they are! They were actually wrestling to get into the picture!)

Potato Rolls
(adapted from Go Dairy Free)
3/4 cup Light Soymilk
1/2 cup or 4 oz. cooked mashed potato (I have microwaved and boiled the potato and both work)
2 TBSP Smart Balance Light, melted
2 TBSP Unsweetened Applesauce
2 1/4 tsp rapid rise yeast
2 3/4 to 3 cups Bread Flour
1 tsp salt

Heat soymilk in the microwave for about 1 minute (to 120-130 degrees). In a bowl, mash the potato, smart balance and applesauce until smooth (I used a fork). In a separate mixing bowl, combine the yeast, 2 cups of flour and salt. Add the soymilk and potato mixture to the flour mixture and mix until combined. Add more flour a 1/4 cup at a time. I used 2 1/2 cups at this point. Knead dough for 5 minutes (I did this in my mixer). Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and then place your kneaded dough in it. Turn in over to coat the top of the dough. Dampen a towel with water and microwave it for 1 minute. Place the warm towel over the dough and place it in the microwave...don't turn it back on (this forms a nice proofing box) - or put it in a warm place. Let the dough rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.

Next, spray a 13x9 inch pan with cooking spray. Flour your counter with about 1/4 cup of flour. Pour your dough out on the floured surface. Knead a few times and then separate into 12 equal rolls. Place in the prepared dish. Microwave the towel for about a minute. Place the warm towel over the rolls and place them back in the microwave or a warm place. Let rise for 30 minutes to an hour until doubled in size. Place in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10 - 15 minutes. Bake until golden brown.Max is the true tester of any yeast bread here and I can't tell you how many he ate like this! He likes one side buttered and the other side without. He is so my son! I do the same thing!

Labels: ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 4:18 PM  
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like