Friday, March 13, 2009
More Hummus
The illustrator and I have been on a huge hummus kick lately. I guess since the weather was so warm, we were looking for lite fresh meals. I was making dinner the other night when the illustrator asked if I thought it would be good to add sauteed onions to hummus. I happened to still have some chickpeas in the fridge, so I went to work on it. It was a success! The onions add a slight sweet flavor to it. We would say that sauteed onions was a great addition to hummus!

Sauteed Onion Hummus

2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1/3 cup lemon juice
4 cloves garlic (keep whole to cook)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
fresh ground black pepper
dash of cayenne pepper
vegetable broth

Cook onions and garlic in a sautee pan. I do this with a little water or broth and just keep an eye on it until they are golden brown (add more liquid as needed). Put all the ingredients in the food processor. Blend to desired consistency. Add some vegetable broth if needed to get it to the consistency you like. Refrigerate for an hour or overnight to let the flavors come together.

makes 2 cups
63 calories per 1/4 cup

Labels: ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 3:55 PM  
4 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like