Saturday, January 10, 2009
Bread Bowls...
As usual, things are a little crazy around here! With the new year, the illustrator and I have decided to do some home cleansing! We seem to do this every year, so I am guessing this is our thing now. Our kids are getting older (there are less toys and more big boy stuff ), so we have been reorganizing and shuffling everything! Along with figuring out the physical stuff we have in our house, I am going to really focus on some blog stuff for the next year. I am not much of a resolution person, but I do like the idea of a new year, a new focus. I will continue to focus on dairy free recipes here with an emphasis on them being healthy. I have always been a health nut (and those that know me, know this is not any different), but I really want to put more of an emphasis on that here too. I am always looking to learn more and more about different foods (why we eat them, what they do for us, how to grow them and how to use them), so I am going to start to share a lot more of that information too! I think this is all important information, especially for those of us who have food allergies and intolerances.

I am trying to make more things from scratch lately. I usually make the sweets in the house, as well as dinner, but I really want to learn more about baking with yeast. I have bought bread bowls plenty of times in the past, but I really wanted make them this time. This is one that I would highly recommend and it did work perfectly! I found the recipe on ieatfood and I made a few changes to it to suite what I had on hand. We ate it with our corn chowder (no photo of that due to being so hungry and no good light) and it was perfect!

Bread Bowls

2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (1000 cal)
1 c white whole wheat (400) cal
1/2 c whole wheat (220 cal)
2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
2 tsp sugar (30 cal)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 to 1/2 cups water

Mix together all of the ingredients except the water, then add the water and mix until it forms a ball. Knead the dough with a stand mixer for 5 minutes until it is smooth.

Spray a bowl with cooking spray and place the dough in the bowl make sure to move it around the bowl to cover the dough with the spray. Then put it in a warm place to rise. Let the dough rise until it is doubled. It will take 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Divide the dough into 5 pieces to make 5 “large” bread bowls. Place the balls onto a sheet pan lined with parchment lightly sprayed with cooking spray.

Cover lightly with a clean towel and place in a warm place to proof. Allow the rounds to almost double, then remove the towel and let them finish their proof out in the open for the last 10-15 minutes, which toughens the surface of the dough. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Spray the rounds heavily with water and bake for 18-22 minutes. (If you are doing 4 instead of 5, you’ll probably be at the longer side of this time.) Turn the oven off and prop the door open a bit and let the loaves sit for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and cool thoroughly on a rack before serving.

1650 calories total

Labels:

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 4:00 PM  
6 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like