Thursday, December 18, 2008
Cooking Under Pressure...
Written for GoDairyFree.

Let me start by saying that I am not one that is easily frightened in the kitchen. However, there is one piece of equipment that I have avoided for years because I feared what might happen if I use it. This piece of equipment is the pressure cooker! My mother-in-law was nice enough to buy me one a few years ago (due to her love of using them) and it has been sitting in my cabinet ever since. The Veggie Queen has helped me overcome my fears of the pressure cooker! Jill Nussinow has published a DVD, Pressure Cooking: A Fresh Look Delicious Dishes in Minutes. I have never gotten a DVD for cooking before, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. This was extremely helpful! Along with the DVD is a recipe book with all of the recipes written down and pictures to go along with the recipes. I like that she gives options for seasoning, as well. After watching the video, I pulled out my pressure cooker to check it out. The one I owned was not nearly as fancy, but after reading the manual that came with mine, I was excited (and still a little nervous) to get started. I picked the black beans to start with because I had everything on hand to make them and I figured if I messed up, they did not cost much to start with (I hate wasting food), so I really had nothing to lose. So, with my husband by my side (for moral support), we put the beans on to cook. We were both skeptical that we could really be eating black beans in around 5 minutes, but we were both willing to give this a shot! I am happy to say that this was a huge success! We were eating our taco salads with freshly cooked black beans within 10 minutes! Not only were they cooked, but we were both pleased with how well they were cooked! Seriously, beans normally take hours to cook! This was so exciting! I have already picked my next recipe to make and I am not afraid to try it. I have to say, that actually being able to get dinner on the table that quickly is nice and the DVD really helped me take the plunge to discover how easy using the pressure cooker could be! If your life is busy and you like to provide healthy hot meals for your family, I highly recommend this DVD!

Labels:

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 1:23 PM  
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like