Friday, September 7, 2007
Baking With Little People!
I have to say that I have the most fun cooking with my family. Even though we all do things differently, I really enjoy making things together that we can all share. My 6 year old and I used to bake together all the time. Now that he is in school it seems like forever since were last in the kitchen together. I think cooking with your kids is so important. It is science, math, reading and so much fun (you get to eat something yummy when you are done)! What could be better. Jay was sick (with what Max shared with him from a week ago) so Max told me that he wanted to find something that looked good and make it. We looked around at a couple of things that we had in the kitchen that needed to be used up and found a recipe from the FatFreeVeganKitchen that looked really good! We decided to make zucchini muffins. They were so good. Max actually did most of this by himself. I measured and he dumped. It was a great time and I can't wait to do it again soon! Oh and Jay ate all but the 3 that Max and I ate. I guess they were winners all around here!

Zucchini Muffins
(adapted from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen)

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar in the raw

Wet Ingredients:
6 TBSP unsweetened applesauce
1 1/4 cup shredded zucchini, packed
1 1/4 cups fat-free Lactaid milk or other non-dairy milk

Topping:
2 TBSP sugar in the raw
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners or spray well with non-stick spray.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk the wet ingredients together.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until combined. Do not over-stir. Batter will be very heavy. Spoon into muffin cups, dividing batter equally among the cups. Sprinkle the center of each muffin with topping and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

1 muffin = 116 calories

Labels: ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 1:10 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At September 7, 2007 at 5:09 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    So I'm not "lactose challenged," but can't have milk protein because I nurse and my little Amelia Bedelia can't have it or she SCREAMS BLOODY MURDER FOR HOURS! Just wondering, do you just cook with lactose free foods, or "all the crap that has to do with milk" foods?

     
  • At September 7, 2007 at 6:13 PM, Blogger Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said…

    Hi Jennifer, I am so sorry to hear about your little one. That makes me so sad! If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if I only focus on cooking without lactose. Honestly, I do look at milk proteins because 9 times out of 10 if it has the protein, it has something in it that has lactose. I am extremely lactose intolerant so I am always looking at labels. I can't promise that my recipes don't have milk protein. I am always experimenting with new products though that aren't related to dairy. If you every have a question about something, don't hesitate to ask. I am so glad that you checked out my site. I think it is so important that we all have a community that can share this type of information. It is not an easy path, but we will get through it!

     
  • At September 8, 2007 at 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    these look so wonderful!!

     
  • At September 8, 2007 at 5:07 AM, Blogger Anna said…

    Hi! These muffins look lovely. Thanks for visiting the other day and making such a kind comment, and for tagging me. :) I'll get to those eight random facts in the next post. Look forward to checking out your blog more thoroughly now!

     
  • At September 9, 2007 at 11:52 AM, Blogger Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said…

    Thank you Celine and Veganista! They were so good and I had so much fun making them with my little man!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like