Tuesday, August 7, 2007
Essential Ingredient
I have one essential ingredient that goes in just about everything! I keep unsweetened applesauce on hand all the time. It is my choice accompaniment to oatmeal (next to pumpkin - of course) and it works well in almost all baked goods! I use it often to bring down that fat content of my quick breads and cakes. I normally buy it, but sometimes I make it from scratch when I need to use up apples and I run out of the vats I keep on hand in the pantry! It is super simple to make and so good! I make it unsweetened due to the fact that I am normally putting it in something that I am going to sweeten, but you can add as much sugar as you would like! You can also change the flavor by using different types of apples. Fuji and Pink Ladies are my current favorite apples for sweetness, but I due still love a good Granny Smith. For this recipe I used Granny Smith apples, but you use whatever you would like!

Applesauce

4 cups peeled and sliced apples (about 4 medium apples)
1 TBSP lemon juice
2 cups water

Put water in a medium sauce pan and add lemon juice. Add apple slices to water as you cut them (this keeps them from turning brown). Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes covered. As they cook, stir and mash with a potato masher. Cook uncovered for another 15 minutes continuing to stir and mash. Cook and mash to desired consistancy (sometimes I keep it a little lumpier when I just want to eat it).

1/2 cup = 50 calories (for unsweetened)

Labels: , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 10:24 AM  
3 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like