Sunday, August 12, 2007
Birthday Boy!
My oldest turns 9 today! I can't believe how big he is getting. Both of my boys start school tomorrow. I am still in shock that I have a 1st grader and a 4th grader. Where has the time gone? Jay always worries about me being able to eat the things that I make for him. This is a recipe that I found on allrecipes.com for applesauce bars. I have played around with the recipe as always and it is Jay's current favorite flavor. I made it last week as a double layer cake for his party and this morning as muffins for his birthday breakfast. Happy Birthday Jay!

Applesauce Cake
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened (I use Light Smart Balance)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg (I use 1/4 cup egg substitute)
1 cup applesauce
1 cup all-purpose flour (I use 3/4 cup AP and 1/4 cup white whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8 muffin cups.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, brown sugar and egg until smooth. Stir in applesauce. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice; stir into the applesauce mixture until well blended. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are golden. Cool in the pan over a wire rack.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3 less fat cream cheese, chilled (I use Rice Alternative cream cheese)
1/4 cup light butter or stick margarine, softened (I use Light Smart Balance)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Labels: ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 1:52 PM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like