Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Cinnamon
Hands down, without a doubt, cinnamon is my favorite spice! The illustrator has been very subtly asking when I plan to make cinnamon bread again. I finally took the hint today! The time had come to introduce you to a near and dear family favorite. The recipe for cinnamon bread that I use is one that my mother-in-law gave to me 13 years ago. It is a family favorite and I am always asked for the recipe. It has been adapted from it's original version by my mother-in-law and we have no idea where it came from. I do know that she told me that the original recipe was actually a cinnamon swirl bread and it calls for buttermilk (because of the baking soda). I have always used regular milk. It makes it gooier and that is how we prefer it. I have made many adaptations of it myself from time to time. Sometimes I use vanilla yogurt, some whole wheat flour and sometimes I add a little apple butter. The one I have posted is the tried and true. It is now my family's favorite! I hope it becomes yours too!

Cinnamon Bread
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon1 cup Lactaid milk (buttermilk, yogurt, or other milk substitute)
additional cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray loaf pan with cooking spray.

Combine oil, sugar,egg and vanilla in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, flour, salt and cinnamon. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet alternating between the flour mixture and the milk. End with the flour. Mix just until combined. Pour into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and sugar. Cook for 50 to 60 minutes depending on the size of the loaf pan. You can remove it from the pan after it has cooled for a while. The amount of sugar in it makes it a littler harder to come out when it is still hot.

Note: The cinnamon and sugar mixture makes a nice little crust on top and under that will be a bit gooey. Also, due to the change of buttermilk to regular milk, it will be a little more dense. Feel free to use whatever kind of milk or milk substitute you like. Let me know how it works for you!

Labels:

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 7:30 PM  
8 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like