Tuesday, July 3, 2007
Because He Said So!
Ok, we eat a lot of omelets and frittatas in this household. I personally prefer egg substitute and liquid egg whites over whole eggs. I have IBS(irritable bowel syndrome) and the lower amount of fat I eat, the easier life is on my stomach. Not to mention the fact that I have discovered that I actually like the taste of the egg substitute more than whole eggs. Ever since the illustrator started watching what he eats, we have started to eat a lot more omelets and frittatas around here. It just makes sense...high protein and low fat. Oh and really good! I know that you know that just about any combination of vegetables and meats will work in eggs. However, I have discovered that a quick and easy way to make them with a nice fresh flavor is to make them with salsa. I have mentioned in previous posts that we love the corn salsa from Trader Joe's. It is very different (no tomatoes) and oh so good! Now, this combination sounded a little strange to me, but the illustrator suggested putting shredded cabbage in it. This all came about from seafood taco night! We had leftovers and just went crazy with them! So, I decided to give it a chance. I have to give the illustrator credit on this one...it was mighty tasty!!! I added a little cilantro to it and some Lactaid cottage cheese. If you have a favorite combination, let me know...I am always willing to try something new with my eggs!

Corn Salsa Frittata
3/4 cup egg substitute (or 3 eggs)
2 TBSP corn salsa
2 TBSP Lactaid cottage cheese
2 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat non-stick frying pan on medium low heat with cooking spray. Combine egg substitute, corn salsa, cottage cheese, salt and pepper. Pour mixture in frying pan. Sprinkle cilantro and cabbage on top and cover with a lid. Cook a few minutes until firm enough to flip. (Do that oh so carefully!) Cook a few more minutes on the other side until slightly browned. Serve up!

One corn salsa frittata = 161 calories

Labels: , , ,

posted by Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen @ 7:20 PM  
3 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name:
Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
Home: Atlanta, GA, United States
About Me: Lactose Challenged
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Blogs I Like